New landlord - making property safe for tenants

Hello

I am a new landlord and getting my first property ready for tenants.
The property is all electric so no gas safety check The property has recently been rewired so I not worried about the electricity. There is an electric cooker in the property - does this need to be PAT tested? the other white goods are brand new.
Where can i fid out what else I need to do to comply with safety regulations? I am thing particularly about windows/blinds as the property is a first floor flat.
Thanks in advance.

cooker needs to be tested. If any window has a low cill the glass needs to be toughened or laminated. If the openers are low down they need to have a restrictor on them… I provide a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher in my flats, and in the common area. also. I also make sure one of the windows is a fire escape type. If you supply white goods you have to maintain them

2 Likes

Dont forget smoke alarms

1 Like

I have just put easy exit door openers on ie thumb turn locks. This allows quick exit especially in flats should there be a fire. I don’t think it is legislated but a very good idea which in the event of fire helps prove that you rtied to ensure your tenants safety.

3 Likes

My understanding (from my electrician) is that white goods aren’t really portable even if they are just plugged in not hard wired like cookers, hence not subject to PAT rules. However, like everything they do need to be tested as part of the 5 yearly installation check. I don’t believe PAT testing is actually mandatory yet for other appliances except in HMOs, but as always, if there is a problem and you haven’t ticked the box, you’ll be on the back foot straight away. I avoid this by not supplying any portable appliances and getting everything else checked every 5 years.

Jury is out on fire extinguishers. Some bodies advise them, others just say “get out, stay out, call 999”. I supply blankets only now as I’m advised these these are best for fat fryer fires.

Blinds: avoid cords that can strangle a child.
Windows/doors: I do as Colin3 and Christine have said.

If you haven’t already, join the NLA or RLA and they can advise.

1 Like

In my ground floor flat the cooker and hob are hard-wired. However, I have supplied a washer-drier and fridge-freezer (both bought as brand new but at a discount warehouse as they has slight damage to the outside of the appliance (a dent or two). I had a three-month guarantee on them and the washer dryer has a service contract on it, although I am not going to renew it as it is four years old and the renewal cost is not justified. Do these need to be tested?

The flat is only five years old, so no need for re-wiring. The windows come out if necessary for quick exits (installed during construction).

The vertical blinds were installed via my first tenant and they have child-safe cords and fittings.

It has a smoke alarm; there is no gas supply or solid fuel appliance so no need for a CO alarm.

I will supply a fire extinguisher and fire blanket. I must admit, I never gave these a thought!

my understanding is that anything with a plug on it has to be pat tested, this makes it a portable appliance ( a very heavy one).

1 Like

Thank you Colin. I am learning a lot today!!

Is the PAT testing compulsory?

New equipment does not need to be tested but just a visual check. A competant person can do a pat test not need be an electrician. The frequency of test depends on how much use the equipement gets, EG. my electric drill gets used much more than my jigsaw so needs checking and repairing more. You keep a record j i c(just in case) as I always say . So a washing machine / dryer needs more checking than a fridge. You can check out the HSE website on such testing tho the advice is a bit up in the air

@Bob_Belinda
I just Googled “PAT testing in rented properties” and got these two answers:

check all appliances before the start of a new tenancy, and then every two years for smaller appliances such as kettles, microwaves, toasters, lamps and fans, and every four years for larger pieces of electrical equipment such as fridges, ovens, dishwashers and washing machines.

there is no legal obligation (at the moment) for private landlords to carry out PAT testing on electrical appliances in their properties . … However, the regulations are different for HMO landlords. In your case, annual PAT tests are compulsory for all electrical appliances.

You are responsible for the safety of your property, so the first approach is sensible and gives you a defence if required, but there isn’t a legal requirement unlike gas checks.

1 Like

I would check there is no fluff in a dryer much more often than 4 years apart. If they supply their own I would want to check it myself

1 Like

Good point and easy to do during regular inspections. You could give the appliances and power leads a look over too, to flag up any issues such as over loaded sockets.

1 Like

There is a little gadget that plugs into a ring main (socket) and it will tell you if there is a problem .Cost ÂŁ20 easy to use Not for the appliances but for the electric power system

Hi Tony i am looking for 1 bed flat with a garden or balcony and not near a busy road.please in essex near to westcliff area may few miles away…

Hi Tina. Sorry. I’ve not got anything in Essex.

Hi do you have any home 3 bedrooms please in the Chelmford? Thank you

Hi - it’s best to post any property search requests as a new post in our #tenant-discussion:property-search channel.

Sam

if the property is new to you get the electric installation tested regardless, do not take the risk. cooker does not need pat test. you dont really need a fire blanket today just specify no hot fat fryers . ref other white goods, you supply them you support them so you need to be there when it breaks down and wait in for the service call. better to get them to rent or buy their own. humping washing machines up and down stairs gets old really quickly

1 Like