New landlord ...taken over from father inlaw

Hi my LL has passed his property over to his son in law ( private rental)
He nor the letting agent has in formed me of this …should they do …
I only have the old LL name and address not the new one .
Ive been asking for repairs dojng for the last 3 weeks …with no reply …

1 Like

How do you know this?

I messaged the original LL to ask when the repairs will be done …he told me that he has nothing to do with the property now , as he has passed it on to his son inlaw …

Have you sent the letting agent a request for repairs ?

Yes …3 weeks ago …and 2 emails last week.
My question is …should my previous LL told me that his son inlaw has taken over ?
Signed for new tenancy agreement in August…
Ive been here 14 years in april …

he may mean his son in law is organising on his behalf. ,and he still owns it… I would tell my tenants if selling . But it will not affect your lease that you have just signed as this passes on to a new owner…

There 14 years ? you must be happy there ? Do not rock the boat over ownership. Persist with repair request

Hes passed the lease on to his son inlaw …im a private tenant renting from him /them …he also has a EA …dealing with my requests for repairs .
Hes only done a few minor jobs over the 14 years ive been here ( 4) in total, when .he told me he was passing it over to an EA because he didnt have time for it anymore …That was ok by me …he never mentioned his son in law .
So now ive just learnt through the father in law this
I have a faulty TVRs …one radiator.
Plus the seal on the beroom window has gone rotton and split …lets drafts and the cold in …this was reported to the EA 3 weeks ago …and shes still chasing him up …

Say you need the full name and address and phone number of new landlord. Then when you get this send him the repairs needed and see how it goes.

1 Like

@user111 when you say he has only done 4 minor jobs since you’ve lived there is that because that is all that has needed doing or because you ask and they dont get done?
Also if he has an EA (or a LA ) dealing with repairs then I wouldve thought they are less likely to give you the LL details and eill tell you to let them know what jobs need doing I am by no means an expert in these things but common sense would dictate that if an EA is dealing with the repairs (or should be) then the landlord (whoever it is) expects you to liase with them not him/her
Plus your original post reads that now you have this information you have suddenly discoverd faults that need fixing
Personally if you have the old landlords details possibly message him apologising for the contact but you just wish to clarify your status as Tenant and could he ask his son in law to contact you to discuss where you stand etc as long as you are polite and respectful I dont see why he wouldnt

Yes, the landlord should have told you formally through a s48/s3 notice if there has been a change of landlord. Without this you are entitled to direct all matters at the original landlord. Have you been asked to make payment to a different account?

1 Like

Minor problems as isaid , is because i keep it in good order.
Repairs was requested to EA ( 3 weeks previously) but she was chasing the LL up unbeknown to me my LL HAD passed it over to son inlaw .
So how you say i want repairs doing now because ihave new LL …is totally wrong .

Thankyou for that …i thought they had to

Can he just take over the lease ??

None of us know whether the ownership of the property has been legally transferred and it doesn’t really matter. The owner and the landlord don’t have to be the same person. However, you have to be formally told if he has assigned his landlord responsibilities through a notice of the new landlords details under s3 of the Housing Act 1985 and s48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 and any change of bank details for the rent account by the original landlord. Without this, you can’t assume any change has taken place.

My guess is that they haven’t done anything formal, but he’s just asked his son-in-law to take over. If that’s the case, then the landlord hasn’t changed and the s-i-l is just acting as another agent for the landlord.

I would suggest you send an email to the landlord and agent asking for clarification on the above.

2 Likes

No stillpaying through the EA

Thankyou …for your reply …iwill ask

I was happy …but im finding the stairs difficult now …3 storey…i have mobility problems, plus bilateral breast cancer ( 3 years remission) …
So myhealth is notgreat at moment …

1 Like

can you get a grant for stair lift ?

Im only a private tenant…and that would be a no no from the LL or SCC …the stairs is communal stairs ( 32 steps ) …im hoping to move …as ive just got on the priority list …

2 Likes