No DSS - Can you say no or not? (when reason is beyond Landlord's control)

Nicholas, this is exactly the approach that makes people like us not want to rent to people like you. You must realise that you don’t have a right to be accepted on a rent application surely? I don’t have a problem with the people that are claiming UC. God knows I’ve had periods of no income in the past. But why should we rent to anyone that has their income underwritten by a system that has no regard for the landlord? We have mortgages to pay too. We also need to feed our families & pay the bills. If we don’t get paid, we can’t pay, then your house gets repossessed. How is this a good thing? This is the small minded attitude that fuels Shelter & the politicians drive to get rid of landlords. I wish you luck in finding a mortgage whilst claiming UC. Equally, good luck getting a council property. If we don’t exist, you won’t have a home as neither of these things can happen. There isn’t enough housing stock on the council’s books to give all that ask a home. Mortgage lenders require a level of income that surpasses the levels of UC. So while we’ve decided to sell up our portfolios, paid off our personal mortgages, you and your park bench will be long term companions. Seriously, think about it. Who’s the problem? The government? Shelter? UC? Or is it us landlords? If you still think it’s landlords, you are fuelling the future of government policy & heading for that shop doorway cardboard box. Is that really what you want?

10 Likes

You wont get thru to him . they blame us not the goverment who allowed the selling off of thousands of affordable council housing stock. and dont pay the Landlord directly in the majority of cases., I know what its like to be self employed and get NO help, to be behind with my rent … I have been a renter I know what its like to earn very little. Instead of complaining I worked 12 hours a day , had no hollidays and now I am very well off. As a millionaire once said to me you only have to work half days, and it does not really matter what 12 hours of the day you work

5 Likes

PS. Lets have a quick think about benefits & financial help. Throughout this awful pandemic. the employed get furlough payments. The unemployed still get their benefits. The self employed get a little (albeit a small amount). Professional landlords that aren’t getting rent paid on the other hand get nothing. That’s right, we can go from full occupancy to no income in a heartbeat. Mortgage debt is still there. Food still needs to come from somewhere. The bills still need paying. We still legally have to keep properties in good order. Yet there’s potentially no income. That’s right Nicholas, even if we lose our income, pro landlords are out on the street without benefits. So your attitude is really quite a problem, for us, for you, for everyone. A rethink might be a good idea.

7 Likes

Colin, yes mate I know, but for everyone else reading this post, its important that someone says it how it is. Unchallenged. Opinions like the one displayed by Nicholas run wild if unchecked. I think we’ve posted enough times on the same topics for you to know that I get really bothered by small minded, short termist attitudes. It’s a shame these attitudes are promoted by those that should know better. I know we’ll never kill such mind sets, but its important we do all we can to open peoples eyes to the reality of their thoughts.

5 Likes

Your very fortunate …

Geoff, to echo & reinforce Colin’s point, fortune favours the prepared mind. He clearly has gone from zero to where he is now by doing something. Equally I am in the same position. I have no qualifications to speak of. I packed boxes at 16 for 25 quid a week. University was never an option as the family couldn’t afford it. I am the offspring of a dinner lady & washing machine repair man. Yet through tenacity & the will to make something of myself, I now find myself a pro landlord. Sure I had the breaks, but I put myself in front of where I thought they would pop up. Being fortunate is only a small part of success. I see risk management as the largest element. And here I am, reasonably well off, still managing risk, still wiring in ovens, still painting walls. 3 redundancies have just given me more resolve to succeed. Being fortunate? Yeah it’s gone both ways for me. I imagine it has for Colin too.

5 Likes

Dss isn’t like it used to be. Its guaranteed the government now have to pay rent the 1st four weeks. I work part time and recieved part benefits the new Universal Credit system is fantastic. They have to by law now pay your rent. So if anything this is more guaranteed. So not sure why its an issue this day and age regardless.

3 Likes

Nicholas, your attitude really stinks!!
You appear to forget that it’s the Landlord who has invested heavily in property and quite rightly expects a reasonable return and an acceptable tenant.
By the few stupid comments you have made on here indicate that you are aggressive, high risk, bad attitude, and a typical example of someone I would reject instantly…There’s only one loser, YOU!
If you believe that your way is the right way to gain the respect of a Landlord and secure a tenancy please carry on, it saves a lot of time wasting arranging viewings for people such as yourself. But not to worry, you will be successful in securing many nights under the stars in a des-res Tent!!!

3 Likes

Why can it not be trusted. The universal credit scheme now has to by law pay your rent in the 1st 4 weeks. Iv always worked part time and received part benefit top up. This is a very reliable income. I in 10 years have never missed a single payment and if people feel better it can be paid direct to the landlord. DSS is nothing like the old days. Its all very reliable this day and age.

4 Likes

Stacyann, I see what you believe to be true, and it’s a common misconception. Take one of my excellent tenants for example. He lost his job, his girlfriend got furloughed, they went to UC & were given the rent portion in full. Very sensible. They paid me so I could pay the mortgage. Then out of the blue, she moved out. UC said they would only pay for half his rent as the property had 2 bedrooms & now only one occupant. So it’s not guaranteed. The poor guy was stressed beyond belief. We worked our way through it but we shouldn’t have needed to. Its simply unfair.

My 2nd & well known point is that policy changes. I know this as I’ve been a victim of policy change. Without boring you with all the fine detail, a governmental policy change meant that I was £7500 out of pocket, ended up going to court 3 times, evicted a perfectly nice lady, got her guarantor a CCJ & took a final loss of £1000. And that’s all because they changed their policy. Truly, it’s not guaranteed. They can change how they work in a heartbeat, without consultation or notice. In your situation it worked out, but for every success there are failures that cannot be justified.

3 Likes

Philip forgive me , I didn’t make my reaction clear. What I meant was that the overall package of having a “good” DSS tenant was fortunate as myself and fellow landlords haven’t experienced that luxury.

Stacycam you are in cloud cuckoo land you cannot trust the local council and goverment we can give loads of examples but I really must get on earning a living ,paying my taxes to support the less fortunate in a way I was NOT supported.(. My Dad was A labourer I am a Joiner)

3 Likes

Good on you Colin. Just doing a bit myself. Renovating an apartment that a tenant left in a state I wouldn’t allow my dog to live in.

4 Likes

Hi Geoff. Sorry, maybe I’m a bit riled by some of the comments here today. I might have stood on my soap box a bit too much. I like your comments & putting those that don’t get it straight is incredibly important. The world of harmony and rose petals is somewhere out there, just not where we sit! Right, back to scraping grease off a kitchen for me.

1 Like

I have had to do the same but only once. . Know exactly where you are coming from

Once only? Wow. Well done. I’ve had it loads. But then again I do rent to the lower end of the market. Still, it’s a dirty job but someone’s gotta do it.

Yes I have been fortunate . When a tenant moves out I do a general paint if needed and improvements But some of my tenants have been with me from 8 up to 22 years

1 Like

I’m a single mum and I only go for the type if property that if I was to get a bf say move in. Then he moved out I’d still be in a place I am able to afford. People should meet the people and get a feel for what type of person they are. Its a shame as there are so many homeless as so many people don’t have guarantors etc. I get you have to be weary. But as I say I personally don’t have a guarantor. I only apply for 2 beds or a place that is only at the price I can afford. I’m the most reliable tenant I know. Single mum working part time, and as I say iv never ever paid my rent a day late or missed a single payment.

6 Likes

Regrettably not everyone is as reliable as you are. I always meet tenants but to be honest, it’s UC I just can’t trust. Been burned by the system too much. If UC would sign as guarantor, legally, I’d be fine.with it. But they won’t so people like me just won’t risk it.

5 Likes

Rather spiteful comment one would say and very naive of finance and managing property.

I have many tenants on UC, their profile is they are not slackers and take what work they can, and they all look after the properties. It’s all about tenant pre qualification.

As landlords, if we get a bad UC tenant it is a nightmare and extremely costly to remove them. It is these type of tenant your remarks should be aimed at, as it’s these type of tenants who are making It difficult for other UC prospective good tenants.

It’s also worth noting landlords are also contributing to UC payments through their taxes.

7 Likes