Noise Complaint

I wish to discuss the distribution of rights with regard to noise levels in a block of flats.

I recently moved into a rented flat with my partner and have had to bring an issue of loud music to the attention of our neighbour who lives above us. We wrote a polite letter simply stating that whether due to thin floors and ceilings we could hear the music and asking that the level of music be kept down a little in order that it didn’t disturb us or disturb our sleep. We did not ask for it to be turned off just down. Before, she was playing it at 7am at a volume where we could hear it and it would wake us up. The night before we put the letter through the door she played her music until gone midnight. Needless to say, we would not have complained or brought it to their attention if it were not an issue but it was actively disturbing us. To be friendly and to allow her options to respond, we decidedly put our mobile number on the letter. We felt it would be fair to give her a way to handle the situation without having to talk face to face particularly if she felt uncomfortable about doing so.

On the afternoon we sent the letter she text us a rather visceral response. It was entirely unnecessary to be so angry as it was not personal, just a polite request and bringing something to her attention. She stated that she had never received any complaint(s) before about noise, that she owned her property above us, that her ‘sound system’ was nothing other than an Alexa Dot, and implying she was within her rights because of the Noise Act 1996 and the ‘time slots’. I don’t really know why she said all of this as it should not matter if you own or rent your property; considering others living in the same block still matters. But it was a little shocking to have this sort of response as we only asked her to turn it down, not off.

In consideration of this scenario, what rights does she have? And what rights do we have as tenants? As far as I know, the Noise Act 1996 is a guideline and should not be used as legal example. But it does mention ‘permissible levels’ of noise, which I do not think her music was hence the letter in the first place. Currently, and thankfully, she has kept the noise down, but if in future there was a recurrence of the issue, how would it work? I don’t want to exacerbate the issue needlessly, but if I can hear the music and it’s bothering me, surely I have a right to say something?

Advice appreciated.

Get to the local council and keep a record of everything

1 Like

Tricky situation if it gets adversarial, so try to avoid that at all costs.

Talking is better than writing as there is less chance of misunderstanding.

Involve your landlord. They may have a relationship with the person above that might help - I’ve diffused problems with using washing machines at unsociable hours just by letting both parties know the impact they are having and finding a solution that works for both.

Get hold of the head lease of your flat and see what obligations there are in terms of playing music, as there are usually restrictions. If the other person is breaking those restrictions have your landlord get the landlord of the overall property enforce them on the person above.

Do what Colin suggests to build a picture…

… But try to find a non adversarial solution.

If all else fails move somewhere else.

Hope that helps

worth noting that there are sound absorbing mats that go under a washing machine to mitigate the noise

1 Like

Contact your
Local environment agency department. They will provide you with a noise diary and give you contact numbers for agents on call for weekend incidents. I do all my recordings as videos which the EA have a facility to allow you to upload.
She will receive a notice to cease, if she does not then they will take her to court.

1 Like