Paused rent for building work - advice

Hello, my flat needs building work so I paused the rent collection. However I’m not sure about something

• once I restart the rent will it chase them for back payments or just for the portion of the month left (I’ve agreed they don’t need to pay for 1 / 2 weeks as the bathroom is being done and they need to move out)
  • or, once I restart it will the full month’s rent going forward be payable (and therefore the date the rent comes in will be changed from them on).

Bit confused, thanks
J

You can agree whatever you want with them. Frankly if they’ve agreed to move out so that you can upgrade the bathroom then I would be generous as many tenants would just refuse.

1 Like

Thanks David, this isn’t so much about the tenants - more about the practicalities of pausing rent on Openrent and when in restarts etc.

Hi @J112 - Good question.

If you’re looking to give your tenants a rent-free period you can either cancel rent collection and resume it once you’re ready. This will restart rent collection from the month you resume.

Alternatively, you can “Add a Rent Payment”, which will essentially credit the tenants with a sum of money. This might be more suitable for a week’s rent, and you can add a note to say this is a discount due to building works.

Thanks, Daz.

Thanks Daz, that is really helpful. So by doing “Add a Rent Payment” I would credit the account but without them paying? Would I do this while the rent was paused, so they wouldn’t be reminded about payments?

Really I just want to pause the rent, then they will pay what is left of the disrupted month once they move back in. Then ideally to return to normal dates of payment afterwards. Is that the best way?

Whilst rent collection is paused, the tenants won’t be sent any reminders. So nothing to do currently.

Once you resume rent collection, you can add a payment, and that would credit the account without them paying anything. The amount would essentially come off the balance, and then the tenants would be reminded about any remaining balance (if not paid and greater than 0). If you know the “credit” amount now, you can also add it now if you prefer.

Really I just want to pause the rent, then they will pay what is left of the disrupted month once they move back in. Then ideally to return to normal dates of payment afterwards. Is that the best way?

Yep, this is what will happen if you add a rent payment once you resume rent collection. :+1: