Property Access

One of my long standing tenants is currently in hospital quite poorly, he has been in there for 9 days now and there is no one else living in the property. As we are unsure as to when he will be coming out of hospital we are concerned that the property hasn’t been checked to make sure everything is ok. We are unable to speak to the tenant as he is in a confused state in hospital and we are not next of kin, however, he has no next of kin in this country. He hasn’t been managing due to his health problems prior to his admittance into hospital.
Do we have any access rights to enter to make sure that everything is ok in there, make sure that the heating is working ok and that there’s no rotten food as we know that he had an ant infestation also just prior to him going into hospita.

Could any one advise

Many thanks

Yes you do have a right to inspect. To cover yourself, send him a message that he could see at the hospital as well as a letter to the property with 24 hours notice to inspect. Unless he forbids you to enter you can then let yourself in with your own key.

Thank you David, that’s a great help.

Hi folks.
Following on from my discussion the other day, sadly my tenant has passed away, never being in this position before I am not sure on what to do next. Because we haven’t as yet had access, and the hospital can’t find his phone we are unable to know numbers of his estranged family to inform them. Could anyone offer advice on who we should be notifying now regarding his death and obviously the tenancy on the property etc and taking back possession. He was on housing benefit so the council have been paying his rent. Is there a time period we have to give before we start any procedures etc. Any advice would be thankfully received.
Many thanks in advance

I had a tenant die recently. Got in touch with son who sorted it out and we just took possesion. You need to get into his place to find any contact numbers.

Firstly, his death doesn’t end his tenancy, so you need to get the appointed executor to end it through a deed of surrender.

See: Dealing with the financial affairs of someone who has died - Citizens Advice