Pros and Cons when using a Agent

what would the pros and Cons be when using a agent if im a landlord that lives aboard would you recommend using a agent

I spent 21 years overseas while letting property. When I didn’t have an agent, I had all sorts of hassle trying to sort issues out (and this was when the web was in its infancy so much harder to communicate over issues). For the last 10 years, I used local agents who knew the local market and didn’t tie me in with a contract that forced me to keep them on or lose the tenants. I also had five properties so negotiated their rate down from the standard fee they offered.

The pros are that they can manage the detail for you and respond quickly (provided you’ve told them what you want them to do in typical scenarios).

The cons are that you still have to be as knowledgeable about letting property as if you had no agents. This is because you are legally on the hook for every mistake they make. You have to watch them like a hawk and request all paperwork with all tenancies all the time so you know what’s going on.

You’ll also want to look at the potential income tax implications of your move.