Question for builders


I am looking to do a few changes in my flat and I am seeking for some knowledge.

  • are we allowed to move the position of the fuse board just by a little bit to the side e.g. L shape wall move the side to another 90 degrees if there are spaces. If not, can I build a built in wardrobe to cover it so this fuse board is actually hidden inside this wardrobe?

  • are we allowed to move our intercom phone to another wall?

  • I have a bedroom floor that is 5cm higher than hallway where hallway is flat and it is carpeted and bouncy. i.e. can’t put wardrobe in someway otherwise it falls when people jump. was it wood levelling? If it is levelling why it is like that? or is it because those kind of levelling was originally flat but then it becomes like this?

Any suggestion helps!

If this is a flat, don’t you need to check with the freeholder and the terms of your lease for what is permitted?

moving the unit is a pain . needs an electrician anyway and if all the cables are not then long enough , that is costly. . do not hide the unit , if there is a problem a fire could start. Floor? only seeing it can give an answer

well, how many people did? :stuck_out_tongue:

in the lease, you can have something like paint your interior wall every 2 years. I mean 2 year is pretty quick to pass and who paint them every 2 years and things like requiring you to put a net curtain and no one ever did.

For example, my lease says: “not to make any internal, non-structural alteration or additonal to the Property, or alteration to the plan, design, or elevation of the Property, without the prior written consent of the Landlord, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed”. Your lease may be different of course, but I thought that generally these sorts of changes to the flat require the freeholder’s consent.

With regards to the actual work, moving electrics and fuse board will definitely require a qualified electrician. There are building regulations for location of fuse boards etc. These should not be covered by wood materials due to the fire risk, unless the wardrobe you’re planning to cover it with is a non-combustible material such as steel. This is just going off what I’ve been told from qualified electricians on various renovation projects.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.