Cheap Rental improvement, is it suitable?

Currently I have a weird bedroom floor that is wood below but quite bouncy.

My aim is to make it still and balance so I can actually put wardrobe that doesn’t shake when you walk around it.

Considering I do not understand what is beneath the floor and the cost of changing it might be unpredictable as there might be a reason it was never improved due to either possibility or high cost.

So I am thinking, spending however much possible to make the floor straight and just get a cheap huge size vinyl sheet that looks like wood flooring so i don’t need to spend more for flooring if levelling costing too much.

Does it sound suitable and sensible? vinyl sheet in bedroom? I heard about bathroom but not sure about bedroom.

Put more weight in bottom of wardrobe?
IE paving slabs and cover with plywood or similar to look tidy?
Pack the corners to make it level.

Weird idea I know but it’s a weird problem.

why not get an expert quote to confirm approx cost? It may not be as bad as you think. Maybe it’s just floorboards that need adjusting or screwing down.

costing 1150 for the labour, no materials included. can you guess how much material cost? 10sqm is bit much isn’t it? unless it does something genuine like putting a kitchen on it.

To do what?
Get a full itemised quote.
No one here can say if 10sqm is too much as they have no idea of the details.

1 Like

no one here can give an answer as we cannot see the job and even a picture will not tell the story ( i am on the level with this)

2 Likes

the price 1150 are the labour only for below on a 10sqm room:

• takes up carpet skirting and current floor boards.
  • levelling joist installing additional new joist timber with laser level.
  • install floor boards
  • install new flooring and fit skirting

does the price sound alright?

That’s sounds reasonable to me

if we are talking about material price what would be a rough estimate? because i kept asking them they kept ignoring me on that question.

They will never know till the floor is up

well my point was a range, i.e. we can know a price for a total rebuild and a light fix to get a range at least?

i.e. my budget for example is about 1500 labour and material but if it turns out it is 2500, then I am like… forget it… it is just the floor i will just screw lock the wardrobes on the wall.

could I ask if you can help me to understand what does it mean when they say leveling joist and installing additional joist timber?

ask the guy who gave you the quote

We have a similarly wobbly bedroom floor. The joists are too weak to support the bedroom furniture and have sagged over time. It needs the floor boards lifting, new joists installing and then new floor boards fitting on top. Your quote sounds very reasonable to me given cost of labour and materials these days.

1 Like

well… it is just the labour, no materials. but how long does it take for it to be wobbly again?

now i kind of see those old rental flats got weird floors, because they are simply too expensive to level…Although, using levelling compound would be easy than that right?

that is not too expensive it is quite good.

1 Like

I’m no joiner but I imagine this would entail packing type wedges under a raised framework. But best person to ask is the person who quoted you.

1 Like

I am a joiner …,wedges can shake out . ONLY an inspection under the floor can determine the remedy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.