Referencing advice for newbie landlord

I do not get why you want to retrieve information . do you not keep all the info about a tenant yourself at time of interview?

That is not the function of the ICO
The only information you will get from the ICO is information from a data controller on the data they hold about you
Your prospective tenant is not a data controller for your data. They are a consumer.
You the landlord are a business and thus a data controller.
Use social media and build your own picture with their bank statements etc

As above, I think you have fundamentally misunderstood the role of the ICO. Their job is to tackle abuses of data, such as breaches. The landlord has to rely on referencing and their own requests for information, which should always be proportionate and justified, and they have to show through their Privacy Notice how they will use and take care of that information.

That’s really helpful to know. Do you happen to have the link please? I’ve been looking on the Tessa Shepperson website but can’t seem to find the template?
Cheers!

You may have to subscribe but it is well worth it

The NRLA will probably have them too if you are a member

The NRLA has a template for a privacy notice as well as other useful related docs, such as a tenant application form.

Hi MlikeL, can I ask what you mean by the tax deduction in relation to the letting agent fee that you mention in the first line? I am not sure what expenses can be claimed to get tax deduction from the rental income as I’m new to letting out my house. Is there a handy list anywhere? Thanks, Claire

The Tax Cafe book is the one that usually recommended to landlords.