Vetting and what landlord sees

What does the landlord see when vetting has been completed? Do they see the personal information like wages etc or just an overview of risk .
Thanks

We have a sample document you can see here:

By clicking “View Sample Report”.

Thanks!

Hi Daz just a quick question you no the information open rent tenant referencing service provided for a cost of £20 is it possible for a landlord to find this information then selfs with out a £20 cost? I understand it may take a little bit time and effort if they can, and there for would justify the £20 charge. Just curious. Hope you don’t mind me asking

You can see from the sample report the level of detail / data required. It wouldn’t be feasible for an individual landlord, because even at a basic level, they wouldn’t have access to credit/financial data from credit agencies / open banking and would have to trust data supplied from the tenants rather than rely on trusted sources. That opens landlords up to huge financial risk, which is why pretty much all landlords will use the referencing service before signing a tenancy agreement.

TLDR: The cost for an individual landlord to obtain all this information would be far higher than £20, if possible at all, even if they didn’t account for their own time.

1 Like

Well must be a good deal then since it says you are open rent after all. It was just I was worried any one could access my information online, sorry.

Tenants have to supply the information securely via our site, in relation to a specific landlord or tenancy. The report is shared with both the tenant and the landlord, so you can see exactly what has been shared (it will be much like the sample report). Nobody else has access to your information. If a second landlord wants to access your reference report, the same process applies, so nothing is shared without explicit consent.

I understand that the information is required. I was just worrying for a second, how someone, such as open rent is granted the authority to do so. Not I think it’s wrong or have a problem with open rent far from it. So the tenant the landlord and for example someone at open rent also has Access to view this information?? Sorry for all the questions m8, Its just something I find interesting to learn. :thinking:

The tenant must grant permission and provide the necessary details. We don’t do this without the tenant’s permission.

1 Like

Yeah m8 I understand. Thanks

I’d be worried too if i had behaved the irrational way you have whilst attempting to abuse people.

1 Like

Im not happy about providing all my details. Im being asked to have all my referencing checked again even though i have been living at the address for almost 5 years and have no missed payments. The information asked is very personal. Contacting my work etc is not right . I feel like i have no choice . Im not happy at the level of information my landlord will have . It’s like he’s paid 20 quid to snoop on me so he can see how much rent he can charge us as he will have all our financial information ! Is he allowed to redo reference checks if no missed payments

I don’t like seeing tenants private details, it is very personal. But there is just no other way of vetting a tenant, landlord is handing over control of a huge asset and giving it to the wrong person can totally ruin a landlord.

It definitely isn’t anything to do with wanting to charge more rent, it’s just needing to know that tenant is a good un.

Some insurance policies and mortgage lenders require these checks to be done.

If LL is swapping supplier for rent insurance then a current credit check will be needed, though checking mid tenancy I can see why you might be concerned. Ask LL why they want to check again.

1 Like

That’s fine… but you will find it very hard to get a LL to accept you without being able to see this. It’s all about trust. The onus is on you to prove that you are trustworthy and financially responsible. it’s very hard to do this with a complete stranger without giving this kind of information to them.

I also ask for 6 months of bank statements. I’m assuming that would be absolutely unacceptable to you and at that point, I’d thank you for your enquiry and apologise for the fact that I could not proceed with your application. Unfortunately, these days, I can’t risk not knowing all this info about a tenant.

In return, I’m registered with the ICO and you sign a data protection agreement which declares that you have information about how I collect your info, why I collect it and what I do with it and gives you the right to see information I have about you and what you can do to complain to the ICO if you feel I’m not keeping your data securely.

1 Like

Im not sure you read my post i have lives in his house for almost 5 years never missed a payment im not a new tennant ! Unclear what your going on about !

I did read it thanks.

I’m simply trying to share insights with you as to why any LL would need this information from you. You’re currently renting, but if you are uncomfortable with a LL you already know and (presumably) trust having relatively minimal personal details from you then I thought you might want to be forewarned about what you might encounter if you ever have to apply for another property.

And if you refuse to share this info now with your current LL then that may increase the likelihood that you find yourself in that situation in future.

Havent got a problem giving this information to a new landlord ! I have rented for 10 years plus never had an issue with a landlord thanks hun or never faulted on a payment ! Im questioning this weird check when i havent defaulted ever !

Thanks very constructive answer :slightly_smiling_face: thanks for giving you insight !

Presumably you’ve directed that question at your LL. What did they say?

You said that you weren’t happy with “the level of information” your LL will have but that you’re also happy to give a new LL this info. Did you not give your current LL this info in your application for this tenancy?

She means in relation to current level of income she has, the landlord doesnt currently know this, they would only have her original income amount, so knowing her current level (theoretically) gives them opportunity to increase rent relative to income.

So she’s currently paying below market value anyway? After all, a tribunal is only going to allow a fair rent.