Rent charged by Estate Agent

Hi All,

I have moved out of a property this month after 12 months, my rent was inclusive of energy and water bills. My estate agent complained that the LL was not happy as the bills were too high, one of the reasons I left the property and they were looking to increase rent.

Now I have found out the estate agent is advertising the same property for a £100 less rent PCM which still includes energy and water bills.

Is there anything I can do about it, I am still awaiting for my deposit to be paid back.

Many thanks

What do you think you might be able to do about it?

You don’t give us much to go on. More detail would help, particularly the history of how your tenancy ended and what communication you had prior to that.

If you were served a S21 (assuming this is in England) and you moved out in response, then you accepted that and the tenancy has now come to an end. The agent does whatever the LL instructs them to and the LL has, for reasons that you can only guess, decided to lower the rent. That’s entirely their prerogative and you have no say in the matter.

They may have lied to you, but you have no way of knowing that for sure.

I’d move on from this and learn that if a tenancy says utilities are included to have a conversation in writing with the LL about the expectations surrounding that prior to or just after accepting the tenancy and keep your own meter readings (if you can) so you have a record of the reasonable usage that has been agreed.

1 Like