Rental Flat Repairs Boiler issues

I have been living in my flat for six months now. The flat is rented via Haart, we just finished the 6 months’ contract and now just doing periodic tenancy. Since I moved in we have been having hot water issues due to the way the old boiler functions. The water line in the flat works in a strange way. The water line in the bathroom prioritises hot water which cools down with time as the boiler operates like a kettle. What I mean by this is that when it’s filing or getting filed the water is heated as soon as someone takes a shower for the water to get hot again we need to wait sometime until the water is hot, which is of great inconvenience for two working professionals. Furthermore, I suffer from asthma and my skin in sensitive to cold water thus stressing the importance of having hot water in the flat. Now, not only do we find ourselves with no water in the shower we had to struggle to heat water in pots and take to the bathroom using a bucket. This is an inconvenience especially when I have to wake up 4am and heat the water before I go to work at 6am. Several times in the past 6months the plumber has come and assessed the fact that there is no hot water in the flat and has advised for the boiler to be changed. Haart and the landlord did not listen to this and now we find ourselves with no hot water in the flat for 1 week now. The plumber came and said the boiler is knackered and now desperately needs replacing. Chasing Haart has been anything but frustrating, they cut the phone calls and don’t respond to emails.
The contract states:

• You will inform the Landlord or the Agent promptly (and, where possible, in writing) as soon as any defects to The Property come to your attention or notice. In the case of an emergency and if safe to do so, you may take reasonable steps to prevent any further damage. You will be reimbursed for costs reasonably incurred provided the repairs fall within the Landlord’s repairing obligations and provided the repairs were required in an emergency.
• You will comply within a reasonable time with any notice from the Landlord or Agent advising you of the need to attend to any items of repair or maintenance for which you are responsible. If you fail to carry out the work you agree that the Landlord or Agent or workman appointed by them can enter the Property upon 24 hours’ notice in writing (or without notice in an emergency) and carry out the works and you will be responsible for reimbursing the Landlord the reasonable cost of such works.
• You will not carry out any alterations or additions to the Property including redecorations without the Landlord or Agent’s written consent, which will not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.
It is my opinion that the failure for Haart and the landlord to treat this matter as urgent leave me to other choice but to give either seek accommodation elsewhere so that I can use hot water when bathing so as to not affect my health asthma and skin condition. Any external accommodation costs that I accrue due to failure for Haart and the landlord to repair the boiler leading me to seek accommodation else were will be deducted from the rent to be paid to the landlord

OR
The rent is due 16th July, I was thinking I will give them another week to replace the boiler if not I will take it upon myself to replace it and then claim any costs accrued from the rent. Today I will email Haart informing them of this.

Please kindly advise which is the best way forward, as we are desperate.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi

You should contact the environmental health department at your local council. They can enforce landlord to make repairs or authorise you to deduct costs incurred from rent.

Richard

The law states Landlords have to make repairs in a reasonable timescale. And that’s the rub the law does not define how long is reasonable. All requests for repairs should be made in writing with a timescale for when works/repairs will commence, send recorded delivery or date stamp photo your hand delivery to the agents. Invoke environmental health as previously advised. Landlords are under no legal obligation to reimburse tenants for any repairs they pay for without their written consent. That is a risk with such a costly repair !!