Renters reform bill- pets

Pet damage insurance is just utter rubbish. It will not cover the primary problem in that carpets and flooring will be ruined and gradual build up of scratches and marks to cupboards, doors, doorframes, furniture and walls and a destroyed lawn. Never mind stinking pee soaked floorboards. It effectively covers major one off issues, claims must be made as damage occurs all with an excess to pay.

And then the next years premium will rise and after multiple claims the premium will be so high it will be unsustainable.

The idea that insurance will sort out the mess left behind is nonsense. Like many types of insurance there are so many caveats that it renders it generally pointless.

5 Likes

Yes I completely agree I thought that straight away when they said about the pet insurance as tenants could take the cover out, move in and cancel at any time or stop paying.

ā€¦ā€¦and the chances of insurance paying out anyway is very slim !

4 Likes

Hi Alexander, I now explain that Iā€™ll accepted certain small pets - e.g. a goldfish , caged hamster or similar.
Iā€™m about to market shortly, probably with OpenRent, so Iā€™ll be ticking ā€œNoā€ in the headline summary to pets, then explaining the above within the text. And Iā€™ll tell prospective tenants the reasons for NOT allowing cats/dogs, etc.
Iā€™ve nothing against pets per se but, as a business, have had to become harder from my naivety/the experience of the damage to my propertyā€™furnishings - and the time element involved in my one ADR dispute experience - as well as not being able to re-let soon after (the smell alone was disgusting).

2 Likes

Government conveniently choose to completely IGNORE the realities youā€™ve given - or may realise but have simply DISMISSED it since it doesnā€™t suit their cause. ā€˜Head in the sandā€™ mentality - then theyā€™ll feign surprise and shock when the PRS reduces through landlords selling up.

4 Likes

We have privately rented for 11yrs and love our dogs dearly and treat them very well. We have references from landlords saying that we respect our property as itā€™s our home for that time after all. We have always looked after our property and trained our dogs from the get go. Yetā€¦now that we are currently looking for another property because this one is being soldā€¦we cannot find a property that will allow more than ā€œa small dogā€! We have 2 older dogs that are house trained as well as any dogs could be. They donā€™t stay in unless we have to leave them at home because i normally take them everywhere with me. But Itā€™s being suggested to my by letting agents that i ā€œfind homesā€ for them?! Some of us do look after both our home and our pets but the discrimination is still there that itā€™s assumed they will cause damage! So do not get your hopes up. Itā€™s not easy to find a property or a landlord that will trust you enough that you will look after the property. Iā€™ve been asked to pay 6 months in advance in some cases!

Eternal problem. LL cannot determine the good from bad and so will go the low risk route. What would you do if the role was reversed? Theres just too much choice in current market.

Leaving dogs in house while at work is an issueā€¦

Would you assume dogs to cause damage or not cause damage when it is impossible to gain information in advanceā€¦where would you place your bet? What about when a dog is replaced with a new one?

I am a dog owner and really feel for you and hope you find somewhere soon.

The bigger assumption and problem (than the animal causing damage) is that most tenants will not take responsibility and rectify it, if it does occur.

Then a bigger assumption still, the Deposit Service will not award an amount anywhere near the cost of repair, if anything at all.

4 Likes

My family was forced to run away from our hometown with a cat, I think itā€™s a good reform

Rather than bang on about how hard it is to get a property that will allow houses by your pets how about you do yourself a favour (and us landlords) and rehouse your ark by getting a mortgage where you can please yourself as to how many pets you have etc ā€¦ simple solution!! However, if you have no mortgage eligibility perhaps you need to accept the wishes of the person who owns the accommodation your applying for.
Every pet owner out there claims they have the best behaved animals on the planet, The truth of the matter is we landlords donā€™t know you and past references are subjective as simply someoneā€™s opinion of a so called well behaved animal. It doesnā€™t mean a thing in my book.

5 Likes

Absolutely in point! A communist government or shall we say weā€™re living in times similar to the inquisition?. Sadly Landlords are hereges or witches and they the government is trying to burn them alive. They need the revenue that will be collected through capital tax gains.

2 Likes

My sentiments entirely! Well said.

1 Like

We know This. We have had professional inventory done, pictures, documents showing evidence tenant damage and guess who the deposit scheme sided? Enough of this nightmare!

3 Likes

The thing with pet insurance is it will only be purchased by those who are responsible pet owners not the ones who let pets it shit in the garden :+1:

4 Likes

You are lucky nicola39 I canā€™t even get a landlord to take my Yorkie who comes to work with me

Iā€™d like to understand somethings about pet insurance. Assuming it is the tenant that purchases this, the claim is then made by the landlord? The LL has to provide the evidence of damage and repair/replacement cost and deal with the insurerā€™s loss adjusters to argue the toss over final settlement if/when the claim is agreed? A process that can run into months. In the meantime the LL may have a property they canā€™t repair without the insurerā€™s say so or approved contractor and so has diminished rental value. I canā€™t see the positive aspects of having to make a claim against a pet insurance policy. What am I missing?

3 Likes

Well, thatā€™s what you have to do any time you have damage from tenants right? Go to court or argue with insurance? My cat has never damaged anything and thatā€™s why I have no problem paying for insurance. This way hopefully LL can be more understanding and let our non human animal family members live with us.

I for one wonā€™t be letting pets in my property as the Argo and risk is too much , same as universal credit,unfortunately I have turned many away as they itā€™s a risk factor!

1 Like

I believe the current situation is that Pet Damage cover is paid for by the LANDLORD, not the tenant. So you would claim on your own policy. So your costs would be higher than for a non-pet tenant, and yet you are not allowed to offer differentiated rent and deposit proposals. So in other words, the cost and risk will always be higher for someone with pets. Endsleigh do one such policy.

1 Like

Can I ask, where does your dog poop and how is the poop disposed of?

2 Likes

They are worthless IMO. Have to claim per incident with big excess and inflated renewal. They will not cover end of tenancy clean up. As if insurers would pay out every time a tenant moves out and replace carpets, gardens, furniture and the rest. Solution is Inflated rent for tenants with pets and put the extra in a pot.

2 Likes