Renting a house out with subsidence

Hello,

I’m looking to rent out my Fathers 4 bedroom house, it currently has an Open and on-going claim for Subsidence - The insurer and their sub contractors have completed several inspections and tests with monitoring ongoing for any more movement caused by the tree at the front of the property owned by the council.

My question would be:

1. Has anyone had any experience on renting a property out with a on-going case for subsidence? The property is completely safe but with some relatively large cosmetic damage awaiting repair towards the end of the open claim.

2. Does anyone have examples for what need to be included in the contract for this to be water tight?

Thanks, Elliot.

i have rebuilt two properties with severe settlement . Pile driving and reconstructed . I cannot imagine doing major works after someone has moved in

1 Like

What sort of cosmetic damage?

Hi, it’s has cracks in the plaster towards the front of the property (slightly larger than movement cracks) + the windows, windows sils have dropped slightly by around 10mm - so not major

I think this sounds quite a bit more serious than what we are currently facing

1 Like

DIY way to check if still moving . Large blob of putty either side of crack ,strip of glass across ,it sets and if still movement ,will crack.

Is there any impact on the energy efficiency of the property from these gaps?

Not that I am aware of…

If the gaps cause excess cold in the affected rooms, the Council can use HHSRS to force you to deal with the issue. If its purely cosmetic, you may be able to contract with the tenant to this effect.