Section 21 and gas safety certificate

I am in the process of evicting my tenant using section 21, however I have been told by my solicitor I need to to provide gas safety certificate for the day tenant moved in.
She moved in on 01/02/2021 however the only gas certificate that I could find for that period starts on 15/02/2021 exactly 14 days later, I am unable to find certificate prior to that date, when searching google
I came to know legally you are allowed 28 days from the date your previous certificate expired.
I would appreciate any comment as to how I can solve this problem as I am desperate to get rid of a nuisance tenant who has been nothin but trouble.

thanks

Barry Moezzi

You have to have a Valid Gas saftey certificate to legally move a tenant in, the legal Rep is right the contract was not valid.
" Landlords must give a copy of the latest gas safety record to tenants within 28 days of the check and to new tenants before they move in .

If you are unable to provide evidence that a gas safety cert was in place prior to the tenant moving in, then its unlikely that you would ever be able to serve a valid s21 notice. See Trecarrell Vs Rouncefield

:open_mouth:

I can’t think of a better example of why LLs need to take their legal obligations seriously.

Only recourse you might have is if you know who carried out the check prior to the one you have. They’ll have a copy in their records.

Sorry, I should have said ever with that tenant.

Right, but if with that tenant, then surely with any tenant you might check in without a valid GSC, no?

Yes, I meant that for any given tenant who moved into a property that didn’t have a GSC in place at that time, s21 would not be available to the landlord.