Short term rentals

I’m wondering what the deal is with short term rentals with the new Covid eviction rules.
My tenant is moving out at the end of the month and I’m planning to try and sell my flat. I don’t want to get stuck with someone who I can’t kick out for 6 months but I don’t know what my options are in the current climate for having someone on a shorter basis. I can’t AirBnB, flat isn’t furnished and I live far away. Thanks for any thoughts you have!

From a landlords perspective, there is really no such thing as a “short let”. If its not a holiday let, serviced apartment or you don’t live there too, it will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. An AST can be for any length between 1 day and 7 years, but the tenants are guaranteed a minimum of 6 months through the legislation and you would have to serve notice and possibly wait for court action to get them out (another 12-18 months at the moment).

if you want to sell I would not put anyone in … 13 years ago when I was looking for a home in N>Wales I saw a property for sale that had a tenant in it whilst the owner was waiting to sell… dog muck down the gravel driveway… The house stank of smelly socks …, it was a tip… I have never forgotten it. I had a few words with the agent !!

2 Likes