Should I Consider Renting to Tenants with Pets?

Thanks Colin your right. I’ve just got to hope this section 21 is valid and chalk it down to experience has my mother used to say.
I’ve thought about telling the benefits people about him working whilst claiming but he’s still living in my house. He could damage it !

wait till he has left . very satisfying to stitch up someone who has stitched you up

1 Like

I never imagined being a landlord could have been such a nightmare. Tenants have so many rights, or I should say landlords have very little rights. They just take the mick.
And this breathing space thing. I rang the breathing space people because they’d missed off this month’s rent on the letter sent to me. They didn’t want to know my story at all.
Anyway i best chill and leave you guys in peace. Sorry everyone.

1 Like

The case law on gas safety certs is very recent, so your solicitor may not have caught up with it. You’re right that if the gas safety cert was in place at the start, it can now be served later without affecting a subsequent s21 notice. Same with EPC and How to Rent. Even the deposit can be returned so that a s21 can be served. It is still theoretically possible for a landlord to be prosecuted for late service under other legislation of course, but its unlikely.

Dave is right that a tenant has 6 years in which to claim the 3 x deposit ?
I gave my tenant a copy of the domestic electric installation certificate too which is valid for 5 years. So I really hope I’ve covered all the regulations.
From February 2019,
3 gas safe certificates.
1 domestic electric certificate, 2019
1 up to date HOW to RENT,
EPC certificate. Done in October this year.
Returned full deposit.
Thanks for your time I appreciate it.

The answer is yes the tenant has up to 6 years to claim compensation up to 3 x deposit. BUT the tenant has to take the landlord to court and prove that they weren’t in arrears or damaged the property after handing back the key’s So a no win no fee solicitor wouldn’t get involved unless the tenant was a good tenant.
If I’m wrong I don’t mind being corrected

The ‘up to 3x’ penalty for breaching deposit legislation is absolute if the tenant chooses to bring a case. The judge has no discretion and it is not conditional on the tenant not being in debt to the landlord. The landlord can ask for any debt to be offset though.

1 Like

Right ok thank you david.

Dogs no, cats maybe, even then they may well pee everywhere and scratch the hell outta things. Owners make out their pets are angels, they definitely arnt.

If you do take them have a pet premium on rent to pay for the new carpets and flooring and whatever else you’ll have to replace.

If the dog is house trained then I don’t see what the problem is with renting to someone who has a dog

how will the landlord know if a dog is housetrained ?

1 Like

How will the landlord know if tenants are house trained?

1 Like

that is also very true, some are worse than the dogs ( and the dogs complain)

1 Like

When you meet the tenant and dog see how long before the dog does something then you will know

1 Like