Tenant died, next of kin cleared out property,

Tenant died in property, Next of Kin has cleared items from property and handed the keys back to Landlord before the next rent payment,(tenant had been in 9 years and on AST agreement) can I rent this out again now or do I have to serve a section 21 on next of kin. Any advise would be appreciated please?

Exact same happened to me. tenant of 25 years the son cleared the place out. settled the bills, keys given back . I started a renovation .Now ready to re rent

But do you have to legally serve section 21 notice on the next of kin if no one else is living there?

I did not I took the view that the tenant had, by reason of his death, abandoned the property The son emptied it , gave me the keys ,went back home . Job done ,no probs

2 Likes

Who is the executor of the deceased’s estate?

Have a read through this:

Thank you David,very helpful

Just get on and re rent it the section 21 is irrelevant

1 Like

I have just been at the other end of this, as next of kin to someone who died of natural causes while in Housing Association property. As next of kin I was not liable for unpaid rent. However, had there been an estate, the estate would have been. The Housing Association agreed a termination date with me, giving me a month to clear the property and hand back the keys. However, as I understand it, I was not duty bound to clear the property if I’d chosen not to.

The estate is liable for any outstanding rent and notice to quit.
On plus side you got your property back.
Swings and roundabouts!