Tenants complaining of damp but haven't used heating since moving in

HRVU’s (heat recovery ventilation units) are the way to go and are now mandatory in new build flats. These should be running full time to extract all excess moisture, which returns fresh dry air heated by the recovery element in the unit, so you’re not throwing away your heated air.

2 Likes

If you would like to give them notice, does it have to be according to the Mutual Break Clause (let’s say break clause can be activated after 10 Months)? Or the Mutual Break Clause only applies when there is no breach to the agreement?

If tenant thinks the property is damp and its not their lifestyle causing it, if you are not able to give notice yet, suggest to tenant as an option, that you will agree to end tenancy early if they wish, due to damp problem. They might agree and you will then be rid of the problem.

Good idea in principle, but they will not necessarily want to spend their money on a dehumidifier either!

As well as not knowing what their rent is, how do you know what their income is either?

Certain areas of the country have very low rents in comparison to other areas, but the National wage/UC remains the same.

1 Like

I had the exact same problem with a young couple. The emailed me “Re winter issues” When I want to inspect they had washing drying in every room plus having a young baby they had more baths and washing going in than average. Once I explained it was condensation causing the mould and that they needed to ventilate the problem was solved. They didn’t know the windows had night vents or what they were for.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.