Tenants in Receipt of Benefits

Hi all!

I’m having an awful time trying to secure a private rental, and I’m pretty sure that 90% of the rejection or refusal to reply is due to the fact that I receive Personal Independence Payment and other benefits.

I was a working professional out in the States (I am British) going through my training to become a child psychologist. I worked in a children’s psychiatric hospital when I found out I have autoimmune disorders and more.

Eventually returned home and used all my savings on renting until I was advised by my doctor to apply for Pip.

I find it very discriminatory that landlords not only ask for 6-12 months rent up front, but also a guarantor, the last requirement was for one who was a homeowner and earning 46k a year!

My current landlord is happy to provide a reference stating that I’ve never missed my rent, and have actually improved the property by doing my own upgrades (by qualified builders).

I also have professional references.

I’ve been trying to move for over 12 months to be closer to friends so that I can have their support.

Surely someone employed can loose their job and won’t have a guarantor.

I’ve been given a 10 year award, so my finances won’t change.

Shouldn’t people be judged on a case by case process?

How can genuinely good people through no fault of their own secure accommodation.

The system is so judgemental.

Thanks

6 Likes

this is because too many Landlords have had their fingers burnt by those on benefits . Fact not fiction

4 Likes

And they haven’t by people employed?

Do you think it’s right to potentiallt deny someone a home, because of a prejudice.

4 Likes

its not a predudice. It is the law of averages . I have been a landlord for40 years . The worst tenants are young men. The best , all generally speaking ,are female. I will only take on working folk as the Goverment 20 years ago decided to stop paying the rent side of benefits direct to the landlords, and paid it to the tenants instead. Check out how much rent is owed to the social housing sector by those on benefits. The properties are ours not anyone elses so we decide the best to suit us

3 Likes

Interesting. I appreciate your input. It would be enlightening to see if there are statistics on private rentals and those on benefits who have defaulted on their payments etc and those who are employed and have done the same.

I think when it comes to social housing there’s a lot more in the mix. People are put into inappropriate properties, etc,

As for discrimination it’s a perfect example of how it is born. I am basically treated a certain way because of other people who have a bad history on benefits, even though I have not . That’s the definition of discrimination applying one rule to a whole group of people.

So what would you advise to someone like me.

3 Likes

I have one tenant on benefits . Her I have known for 20 years and she is a great tenant in and
out of jobs… The same goverment sold of loads of council property cheaply , now not enough social housing. My advice is gather all the good bits about your rental history and be upfront with any landlord. Keep on trying

2 Likes

Also as far as I’m aware people on Universal credit have their rent paid directly to the landlord. There’s only a few stipulations where that does not apply. Also can’t landlords request to be paid directly from the government, that’s an option for all people on benefits.

2 Likes

Thanks, Colin.

I have done what you suggested. I guess I’ll just keep at it. Nice to have a landlords perspective.

The one thing I would advise is do not share too much of your medical history.
I find it TMI and a bit of a turn off. I have found some tenants use their disability to gain advantage and it becomes an excuse and in itself ,is exhausting.
Personally if someone tells me they have worked and are not able to work because of health that’s enough detail. The fact you have been awarded PIP speaks volumes in itself. I write that in a positive way.
You may need to explain PIP as it is not benefits as one would perceive and you may be unfortunately misjudged because it has been lumped under DSS.
As long as you have a guarantor you will be ok.
The current tenant I have with long term problems does not make issue of it and we work with him. It’s a symbiotic relationship rather than a manipulative one.

2 Likes

That’s great advise! Thank you.

I usually just say I have autoimmune issues and leave it there. I do not have a guarantor at all. My parents are both deceased. I do always offer 6 months rent in advance though.

Lovely that you are giving someone a home who I’m sure would struggle with accommodation otherwise.

Appreciate your response and advice.

1 Like

I would not even say you have autoimmune disease unless they ask.

1 Like

Okay. I like what you said about the fact that I did work, but don’t now due to health reasons. I’m going to say that verbatim.

I’m unsure on how to explain PIP. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Just explain that it is a benefit that matches a percentage of your salary. It is not a typical DSS payment. Explain that it is salary based. That gives your application credibility. I am wary of those born and bred into DSS as that demographic uses certain behaviours as a survival mechanism. Mechanisms I have experienced first hand and don’t want to again. However I do not refuse them as all people are not the same.
You have worked and paid taxes but fate has played it’s hand.

2 Likes

Does it matter if I say that it matches my salary even though I’m no longer able to work at all (the most I can manage is voluntary work). Just don’t want to mislead anyone.

It’s a shame that certain demographics of society are unable/choose not to, live harmoniously and honestly. But to be fair, lack of good education, generations of dysfunction and reliance on governmental support are some factors involved. Out in the States I worked with the kids of that demographic and all I wanted to do for them, was to empower them to do better, teach them healthy boundaries and show them that people can be kind and trustworthy.

I’m sure as a landlord you’ve had negative experiences in that regards. I just have a soft spot for people who struggle like that due to the systemic problems that they too endure. Not your issue at all though.

The award is salary based and it should bring you into a bracket of three times rental amount.
Some benefits do not reach the government advised minimum.
You have said you are not working but the PIP is an award related to what you earnt so you are being transparent

1 Like

It’s one thing to understand those things, but very different when it effects your life negatively. Sorry you’ve had those experiences.

Okay great! You have a better understanding of it than I do. I need to educate myself.

You’ve been so lovely and helpful. I really appreciate it. I didn’t want this to turn into an exercise in landlord bashing.

Hi Colin
I agree with you. I gave a chance last September to
one of my tenant on benefit/ furloughed. But I would
not do this again and go through the stress that tenant has caused me. I cannot wait that tenant to go.

I had another tenant honest and told me that his reference would not pass because of credit score but he got the guarantor.

I learnt a lesson that the tenants who are really honest
they will tell you the truth because all tenants do have all knowledge and the rules and regulations whereas
dishonest tenants play the games pretending they don’t know etc etc

5 Likes

I really don’t know a lot about the rental market, I’m learning as I go along, including how to protect myself as a tenant. I was a homeowner and land owner in America.

I have found though that their are landlords who do not mean well, are inappropriate (sexual inuendo) and properties in a bad state of repairs. It’s a two sided coin for sure. There are good and bad in every situation, I would just like to be treated on my own merits and not the historical issues that may or may not be attributed to people on welfare benefits.

2 Likes

Hi Victoria,I am also on Disability benefits and pension credit due to having various illnesses and like you I have not been able to rent private property, I am also trying to get somewhere near my family and friends due to my ill health. I have gone through the exact problems as yourself.I totally that we should not be penalised because of people that have left a property and left the landlord with unpaid rent ect.My rent and council tax is paid directly to my landlord and if I were to move I would get my rent paid by direct debit.It’s disgusting that because of rogue tenants we are classed the same.

1 Like