Discriminating landlords

Every time I tried to rent a place off open rent I am being refused. This is down to the fact my mother and her partner have pensions which are very good and I am on long-term sickness I will probably never work again. We have a family income in excess of 50k a year and have offered to pay several months up front. Even though it’s illegal to say no DSS/LHA open rent seem to have a system which allows landlords to discriminate against people like myself. I am getting to the stage now where I will be taking legal action against any landlord who discriminates against me and my family so just be warned landlords and that’s what every tenant should do who comes up against this problem report it like I’m going to I’m forced open rent to remove this question which is illegal and discriminates against people like myself and my family.

2 Likes

It is not illegal to ask the question if a prospective tenant claims benefits or registered disabled and the income this brings.

Paying rent in advance means nothing to most sensible landlords.

Does your actual housing benefit part of income meet the required rent affordability calculation? If it doesn’t then you can be rejected. This is legal.

80 plus applicants per property is standard now.

4 Likes

Hmm… Threatening legal action, bit of a red flag that. What area are you in ?

3 Likes

Give us your full name so I can add you to my list of do not rent to this person

1 Like

Landlords are typically getting 20+ applicants for each property at the moment. It’s in the landlords best interests to choose the tenant that is most likely to pay their rent.

It’s for the landlord to choose what criteria satisfies them, and if they have 15 applicants that are on pensions/benefits and 5 applicants that have two people in full time employment, they may choose to look at the 5 with employment first.

I’m not saying that’s morally correct, and I’m not saying that’s what I would do, but just saying that’s an option and completely legal to do.

Also, just to say, we’ve just gone through the process of renting our house (last time it was to family so didn’t have the high volumes of applications first time round), and it’s incredibly difficult to choose just one applicant out of 20+ so it may not necessarily be down to benefits or pensions, it might have just been that the landlord had to pick someone and it just wasn’t you this time.

If I were in your shoes, and genuinely struggling to find somewhere, I’d recommend finding out how to register with your local housing associations. They are much better placed to helping people find somewhere and once you have a home with a HA, generally speaking, it’s a home for life.

2 Likes

You’re getting what you asked for, evil greedy landlords selling their stock, unfortunately you never thought of the consequences did you

4 Likes

I would go with tenants on benefits as most people with jobs can’t afford the rent… !!

2 Likes

Send your full name and address to this landlords forum as we may be able to help

1 Like

Buy your response I take it your one of these kind of landlords who does discriminate. So how about you stick to the law and don’t discriminate against people then you won’t find yourself in trouble simple really isn’t and that way you won’t be an idiot all your life by discriminating against people.

You can’t have what you can’t afford. Simply life tip for you.

2 Likes

What LL do to you, is legal and not discriminating. I’d love you to go court with what you’ve got and update us later. Also, attitude like that will definitely put LL against renting to somebody on benefits. Simply because there’s a chance they’d play discrimination card.

You’re not doing yourself or other disabled persons any favours, but to us - definitely. Timely reminder. Thank you for your post.

1 Like

Keith,

It is not illegal for a landlord to ask a question about your income. I am on Universal Credit and also have found it difficult finding a landlord to accept benefits.I respect that, as we all as individuals want to protect ourselves and our family.

Unfortunately any tenant, regardless of whether or not they receive DSS, has the potential to be disruptive and cost you a lot of time, effort, energy and money. There really are no guarantees as it ultimately comes down to an individuals character, which is why I communicate with a honesty when contacting a landlord.

The fact that people receive DSS does not mean that they all share the same character traits. The same applies for people not receiving DSS. Not all of those people are trustworthy, organised, reliable or kind, regardless of how they earn their money. Every case is individual.

But at the end of the day, it’s down to a landlords discretion, and they have every right to say no…

1 Like

I don’t think they can because there is a law on discrimination where they can’t turn you down if you’re on DSS. I know this site is breaking the law and that’s the reason I have spoken to shelter and my local council about them because they cant advertise a property and put no DSS or LHA like most of the landlords on here seem to do as it’s a question set up for them by open rent. If I was you I would do what I’ve done go and speak to your local council and tell them exactly what’s going on and take photograph evidence where you have applied for a property and then they have sent you a questionnaire but then declined you because you have said you’re on benefits because that is discrimination and the council as well as shelter plus citizens of Advice Bureau will take it up.

if the tenant whether on benefits or not does not meet the required income level ,they will not get the place That is not discrimination . It is common sense . You are grasping at straws

1 Like

I would reject you on account of your inability to comprehend

So they tell you they are rejecting you because you are on benefits? You mean you are assuming they are with zero evidence and you still want to waste everyone’s time!

Colin you are right if say for instance you’re renting the property for 2,000 pcm and the council benefit is only let’s say 1800 then you’re right because they don’t meet the criteria and would have to either pay the extra 200 and havev to prove it like anyone would who’s got a job. But let’s say again you’re renting it for £2000 and the council is giving you 2,000 pounds for the rent then you have not option but to consider them. But if you outright refuse to even look at them that’s classed as discrimination and that’s where you get into trouble because I could then report you to the council shelter and Citizens Advice Bureau who will take action as it’s now law. Plus there is another bill going through Parliament at the moment which will make it even tougher for landlords to refuse tenants who are on benefits.

1 Like

Total nonsense you’re just as likely to be unsuccessful if the landlord doesn’t like your attitude or doesn’t get the gut feeling you’re going to be a good tenant. Personally I wouldn’t rent to you not because you’re receiving benefits but you come across as someone who could fight with there own shadow.

3 Likes

There won’t be many landlords left soon, have you seen how many have sold up due to previous legislation changes and proposed ones? Tenants have only seen tip of iceberg with recent rent increases and it’s going to get even tougher.

3 Likes

Keith are tou trying to rent a place just for yourself or for you and your parents?
If just for yourself then look at it from a LL perspective (which I am not by the way) you have already stated that you do not work and receiving disability payments (that regardless of attitude i am sorry to hear) however what if a LL lets to you and later down the line your disability gets worse and you have to go into hospital or long term care?
Also from numerous previous posts (which im presuming you have researched before coming on making accusations) and im sure the experienced LL will confirm that when a rent is paid by the LA there is a backlog of when the LL recieves the payments which technically leaves them out of pocket for a period (obv this dosent happen.when they let to someone who os employed ) I know you havent mentioned however i get the feeling that you are alluding to your parents being guarantor however I dont think (and again I may be wrong) that people on benefits and pensions will be accepted as guarantour by a majority of LL
I understand its difficult trying to get somewhere to live I am in a similar position to you I currentky live with my dad as his carer however when anything happens to him (which possibly could be imminent
) I have been told I cannot remain in the home he has lived in for 18 years and as fulltime carer i am on UC and CA i have a sum of money saved up but when i have looked at properties in.preperation I have been open.and.uofront with the LL and explained the situation to them and have several LA that wont even.show me round a property once ive explained however its their choice and I (being an adult and being used to being told not eveything goes my way) accept that I think you need to look at this from a LL perspective they are letting their home a very valuable assett (worth a lot of money) out to potentially a stranger they want to ensure that the rent etc will be paid on time and not have to keep chasing the DWP or whoever for the money
Imagine when your benefit is due that they didnt pay it and you had to contact them and it took 6 weeks for 1 weeks worth to be paid how frustrating and stressful that would be
Well thats my opinion.i have no doubt you will retirt with some drivvel about discrimination etc but maybe and this is just a maybe its your attitude thats stopping you getting a place

4 Likes