Tenants in Receipt of Benefits

It’s simply a case of risk assessment, in a similar way that a mortgage lender assesses who they will lend to, or any lender come to think of it.

Some things you have to fight hard for, and position yourself to be in the best possible situation. Many landlords have done just this. They want to protect their hard work and sacrifices.

Every decision anyone makes is discriminatory in some way or other, we have to say no to some of the options to give preference to others.

If it were you as the landlord who would you prefer?

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread.
I really can’t add anything to the other advice on here. It’s all good.
I wish you the best in your search for a new home.

Lots of great advice in this thread.
I would just add that no one has mentioned it’s now illegal to have a “no DSS” policy. And if you’re denied on these grounds, you can complain: How to challenge DSS discrimination - Shelter England

Not to mention it’s a ludicrous blanket policy, as your situation demonstrates & not to mention it’s been the DWP, not the DSS for half my life, now.
I’ve just had 18 viewings yesterday, a mix of benefit claimants, phD students, builders, doctors, health workers, university staff and more. A right cross-section of society - the attitude of some of the skilled workers was far worse than the benefits claimants.

3 Likes

So refreshing to hear a Landlord talk like this. Thank you for your comments. I do hope you find the perfect tenant.

2 Likes

I would prefer a good person who can pay their rent longterm irrespective of how that may look. I’m no more of a risk than someone in full-time employment who can loose their job for a myriad of reasons.

2 Likes

Thank you. Every single “DSS” tenant so far has told me they’re being denied viewings just down to being on universal credit, so I’ve given all of them that Shelter link & they’ve all had viewings.

I think perhaps because I’m not a professional landlord, so don’t rely on my one little flat for my income, but have a day job as well, I get to see the bigger picture. I try to keep rent so it covers costs & builds up a small emergency fund rather than making a rental income. My philosophy is that my profit is the equity in the flat, not the people - the people are there to look after my investment for me.

4 Likes

You are a breath of fresh air.

I think you’re right in that you don’t rely on your property investment to be your sole income, but I also think you have a great attitude. I receive Personal Independence Payment as I’m to unwell to work, I was given a 10 year award 2 years ago so I have that stability in knowing my income won’t be revoked, but not many landlords are aware of this and just put me under the umbrella of receiving benefits. I think there are a lot of good people on benefits who really want a home and are greatful when they find a landlord who recognises that.

2 Likes

I must say I had stopped coming on here because of so much negativity and cynicism. I’ve been searching for a place for over 12 months, but now a disability organisation have become involved and are going to act as an advocate for me. Saddens me that it’s taken that intervention to give me some hope.

Just wanted to say thank you for being you.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s very kind of you.

I’ve a number of disabilities myself - I’ve had a lifetime DLA award since I was 9 & am in no hurry to be moved to PiP. Thankfully my disabilities have never stopped me working, but I do understand the frustration of disabled & unemployed tenants.
As I mentioned I’m currently conducting viewings & I think the only reason a young lady on PiP will be missing out is that I’ve had an extraordinarily high calibre of applicant due to the time of year.

But it’s taken either a Chevening scholar starting her MSc and a UK Army officer to beat her on my short list, unfortunately both obviously have character references better than even the two doctors (who I didn’t really get on with anyway) just by virtue of who they are & what they do, although you never know they might choose not to proceed with me or still may fail referencing & I’ll happily proceed with the PiP applicant instead.

2 Likes

Wow! Good for you.

If you can manage to work while having disabilities it definitely is a positive as you have much more freedom in life, even though it can come with it’s issues, juggling health and career.

I miss working so much. I was half way through my training to be a child psychologist out in the States, working in a children’s psychiatric hospital and studying full time. I miss the kids so much. It was my dream job. Wish I could just wake up and go back to it.

I have professional references too, bank managers and such, but it doesn’t seem to have shifted the discriminatory attitudes. I figure their loss as I’m an excellent tenant who would also be longterm.

I hope you get the right one, but I’m impressed with your attitude, you have the right balance of a business mind and an open mind. I’m sure you live in karmic balance. I guess your personal circumstances have also contributed to that.

I have faith I’ll get there.

2 Likes

When I moved back to the U.K I had to show my passport, job references, all my American I.D and proof I could sustain my rent. I had considerable savings at that point so it wasn’t too difficult. I know I saw your post about referencing International tenants. They should also have all their paperwork for their studies here etc. Don’t know if that helps you or not as I’m not a landlord, but all my checks went through and were fine for their insurers. I also offered 6 months rent in advance in good faith.

2 Likes

I suspect that I’ll actually be ok with checking the student through the home office online checking service, it’s ironically the UK army officer I’m worried about. Reading the gov.uk website I suspect we’ll have to do his right to rent check & sign the contract on the day he moves in if I go with him. It’s ludicrous how the Home office makes us border guards too.

1 Like

Unfortunately they do which i find so humiliating. Myself and my 80 year old father cannot find anything at all for this reason
Looking for 2 or 3 bedroom hopefully with little garden 3 bedroom because I have 3 grown up children who live in Italy but come to the UK every year
Hopefully someone will read this and offer some help to Myself and to those who are in the same position having trouble because of Dss.
Wishing you all good luck

1 Like

Let’s not kid ourselves, everyone discriminates all day everyday. How else do you rule out.

1 Like

Standard affordability criteria, working or not would need to meet that amount of income to be able to afford that amount of rent.

Like residential mortgage criteria. I can’t have what I can’t afford.

1 Like

Landlord jumps through hoops to obtain mortgage. Many have invested life savings. Almost all have sacrificed a lot in life just to be able to get a rental property. They are being cautious based on material facts and averages. They are providing a service to those without. Anyone can get a guarantor, but they might need to work at it.

People losing their jobs is another reason for needing a guarantor! Do you expect landlord to house you for free?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.