The government says: furget about pet deposits

Personally I think it should be a whole separate contract with deposit for each pet stating the pets details and breed with the conditions and responsibilities of the tenant and owner.
I have had at least two properties both house and garden receiving considerable damage costing thousands of pounds which a 5 week deposit doesnt even scratch the surface. This way no landlord is impacting on a tenants "life style" and seeing as most owners are willing to fork out considerable amounts for a pet then this cost should be tailored in and acceptable. There are a lot of responsible pet owners out there as my current and some past tenants have had pets without any issues, its just that the landlord and property owner need to be protected against irresponsible owners and badly behaving pets because once they are in there and the damage is done it`s the landlord that ends up picking up the bill.

2 Likes

I only take 1 month deposit so one way to help a little is ask the maximum deposit. It may not fully cover but hopefully if they realise they rusk losing the entire deposit they will ensure the pet is properly looked after and the house kept pet cleaned.

New carpets ruined by small dog after one year, large dog pooing and digging up garden, rotted floor board due to cat peeing behind sofa etcā€¦ Deposit arbitrator finding against me as I ā€œsould have realised that animals can cause damageā€. I now charge two levels of rent : one without pets and one with.

5 Likes

The answer ( to a lot of problems, not just pets ) is to insist upon a Guarantor. There are LOTS of tenants chasing Each property, so Landlords should in many cases, be able to be choosy.
I would rather have another months void and Council tax, than get the wrong tenant in. !

3 Likes

Donā€™t these tenants have insurance?I have insurance. Iā€™ve git a cat sheā€™s house trained

1 Like

Why not charge a higher rent for those with pets? The cost of remedial work is then already paid for.

ā€¦.Wether or not the landlord wants the hassle of sorting out someone else mess is another matterā€¦.

1 Like

My last and current tenants have been dog owners.

I expect my next will also be a dog owner because it seems like I will corner this particular market.

It was a risk with the first dog owning tenanats but at the time rental was depressed (4 years ago?) so I went with them to avoid voids. By the second tenant it helped that the house had been made dog-friendly already. So far Iā€™ve not seen any damage but it also occurs to me that COVID has effected our ability to visit so the smell that people mention is just not someting we can assess!

Why is it totally impossible, you can just offer to pay an additional deposit or rent.

1 Like

You cannot, by law, take any more deposit than 5 weeks.

2 Likes

Or the surprise pet that you only find out about a week after they have departed from a superficially clean and tidy home but you look down and you have fleas on you feet and a reminder drops through the letterbox for the kittens jabs!