Time in between tenants

Hi. I have my first tenant leaving the property this weekend and a new tenant moves in the weekend after. The week break gives time for a clean, small maintenance jobs and inventory reports. But what do I do about the council tax and utility bills for that week? Do I have to register with the providers to pay the small amounts incurred that week? I’m sure there is a simple process but I just can not find the answer anywhere!

1 Like

you pay for days inbetween Some councils give a months grace . Ask them

Thanks Colin. So the same for energy companies too? I have to set up an account for the sake of a few days? Would you ever try and arrange something with the new tenant to be set up earlier and rebate them or is that not advisable?

It is a pain with the energy companies If the tenant agrees try the latter, for just a few days the energy companies will probably want to send you a bill for the few days . They can be a pain to deal with

1 Like

You’re not just setting up an account for the sake of a few days, you’re notifying the utility suppliers and CT office of the comings and goings of tenants so that you don’t become liable for their debts.

2 Likes

Its really is not a big job. When tenant moves out I email energy company telling them, asking for future bills to be sent to me. When new tenant moves in I email asking them to send future bills to new tenant. Hence, I receive a bill for afew days inbetween. For water I used LandlordTap to notify, and for Council Tax an email to them too. In the grand scheme of being a Landlord, simples.

2 Likes

You really should register for the week. It crystallises any debts from old tenants and usually they take the new tenant move in date at the same time.

3 Likes

I’m with David122 and lucinda5. Its a pain but gives ultimate protection against tenant’s debts.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.