Water leak from rented flat above

Hi folks…I have a ground floor flat where there is 1 flat above me…it is rented out as is mine. Last week my tenants call me one evening to say water was pouring from the kitchen ceiling above. As I don’t live nearby luckily I got my tenant to isolate the water outside. Since then after contacting the landlord of the upstairs flat he is saying that he’s not responsible and there is ‘no contact’ between him and myself?
This has happened before but not as bad…Am I missing something???

It’s typically responsibility of leaseholder ie landlord to maintain pipework within flat boundary. But if leak source is in communal areas then it’s down to the management company.

The tenant above can call a plumber to investigate if their landlord is unwilling to do anything. The landlord would be responsible for costs.

Cover all bases and make contact with the management company.

He has to fix any leak, but unless it was caused by negligence, you would have to make repairs to your own flat at your expense or with insurance.

What even though he has damaged my property? Also I had to pay for electrician to inspect for my tenants safety? Also there is no management company?

Yes, I’m afraid so.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.