Well known large Lettings Co potentially breaking the law?

Contact the landlord and explain to him or did they sign on his behalf?

Hi Robert, if you don’t renew then the landlord/agent is under no obligation to return any of the deposit money to you until the tenancy ends.

You will get your money back, either at the end of the tenancy or when you renew. I don’t know the details as wel as you, of course, but it doesn’t necessarily sound to me like you’re being bullied. It sounds like they want the tenancy to be on a fixed term. One happy side-effect of renewing for another fixed term is that you’ll get the excess deposit amount returned.

But legally, if you don’t renew, they do not have to return the excess deposit. They will be able to keep the whole deposit until the end of the tenancy.

Hope this clears it up.

1 Like

Well summed up Sam . Like that reply

1 Like

Sam
Does this not depend if the periodic is contractual or statutory
If the continuing contract is statutory then the periodic is a new contract and he has right to the refund
Furthermore Robert34 contactthe redress scheme the agent is reistered with
Threaten them first
If not the redress scheme will help get this sorted
They will not want to be removed off the redress scheme

Robert
You need to now if your contract is going to run into a statutory or contractual periodic
The latter means they don’t need to give you the money back
Threaten them with the redress scheme or contact the deposit holding agency and ask them for advice
They will not want to lose registration with the redress scheme as they will not be able to practice as a business
You should have been given T&C’s a certificate and prescribed info

Hi All
The current AST is a Statutory & the 20/21 is a Statutory.
I went in just before 1pm today and waited for the owner of the National Franchise…unfortunately i had to should, get verbal…with prospective Landlords & Tenants waiting.
I demanded/shouted for the repayment or else i was going to call Property Redress Scheme, and informed them that they were holding a payment which appears to be a Prohibited Payment under the Tenant Fees Act- and would call the DPS…
Within 10 minutes i had an email from the DPS stating they were going to release the agreed balance…and i just simply turned around and walked out.

Thankyou all
As i mentioned earlier the money wasn’t the issue- its principle & procedures, & rules
How many other Tenants is this company advising incorrectly…its shocking.

congrats
I just realised your contract started after act came into force on 1 June 2019
So it should have only been 5 weeks deposit from the get go unless you signed before this date
But its all worked out

page 5
1 Like

I’m with Colin3 on this. Why use an agent at all? They bring nothing but headache, frustration and expense to the table. Tenants direct to landlord. Perfect.

Agree Nilesh/Colin3 , but given that is a Landlord decision not a tenant one, it doesn’t really help Robert34.

Looks like its sorted now… Got to love this community…

1 Like