What Are the EICR Rules for Landlords in the UK?

I booked an EICR inspection and it’s about 7 days since this was completed. I’m still waiting to receive the certificate- it’s for one bed flat. Anyone can advise how long I need to wait to receive the paperwork. Thanks.

Have they given result verbally? Passes I normally get same day or next day. Unsatisfactory I had to wait 3 weeks for them to work out how much they were going to overcharge me for remedial work. I made mistake of thing no news was good news. You should have had it by now so best to chase them.

I had to chase 3 times to get the cert for most of my properties. The good Electricians are overwhelmed and didn’t choose the industry for their admin skills. I got them all well within the statutory timescale in the end and they were all clear.

You get it the same day, pass or fail!

1 Like

Hi Sam,

I have instructed an electrician and completed my EICR report recently. He has stated in the comments of the report and is convinced that it’s every 5 years or change of tenancy. I have challenged him and he will not amend the report. Can you provide an official link that will state this? Any further advice you can give will be helpful.

Thanks

Jason

These new Regulations require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every 5 years.

He is ripping you off. They can write that at their discretion.
We have been doing these for decades in HMO’s. It’s every 5 years not at change of tenancy.
Report him to his governing body. Tell the body that if the tenant leaves in a month that period is ridiculous.

Next time ask before you book the electrician so you don’t get scammed.

1 Like

We are renewing our Open Rent AST in May. Our EICR was done in 2018, before our tenants moved in, and it is due for renewal in June 2023 however as it’s not a recent report (current eddition) do we need to have another EICR performed before April 1 2021? Or does the one we have still cover us until 2023?
Thanks

Hi,

thank you so much for the advice. My battle with this electrician is over. He was referring to a “recommendation” on the NICEIC website and it was because of this, the electrician thought he was right. A lot of back and forth but he clearly looking for extra work when not needed. All sorted now.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

Hi

I recently had an EICR conducted and wasn’t happy with the report and so had a 2nd one done. The 2nd report only highlighted one common C2 issue with the 1st one. Whilst I can see the need to make sure the Tenants are safe, as I would like to be but how are the competent persons being approved? If there is a set standard for inspection both reports should be practically the same.

Reading the above comments it looks like the system has too much allowance for the electrician’s opinion leaving the whole system open to manipulation for personal gain or failure.

Also for blocks of flats were not all flats are rented, what’s the regulation to ensure other flats are compliant with the regulations? Should the building manager/freeholder keep a record of certificates otherwise regardless of the certification of tenanted properties the block could remain a fire hazard for the tenant…

Thanks

The electricians conducting these checks do have quite a lot of discretion, but you can appeal to their professional body, (eg NICEIC or NAPIT) if you believe the report is flawed.

If you think the EICR reports are variable, wait till you do your next EPC!

You can write directly to NICEIC as I had experience
many years ago when I thought the there was not something right as I used the that company first time.

NICEIC are very helpful and may take a bit more time
than we expect but they will look into thoroughly.

It’s good for as landlord’s peace of mind.

If the property had a full rewire and the certificate is available online http://www.checkmynotification.com/ do I still need a EICR or will the original install certificate cover me for five years ?

Hi,
My property was fully rewired in January, 2020.
After the rewiring the electrician provided me EIC.
I handed over a copy of the EIC to the tenants in 2020.
In 2021, I changed my tenants. I handed over a copy of the same EIC to the new tenants.
Do I need to do EICR?
Thanks

Read your EICR
Does it read renewal in 5yrs or at change of tenancy?
It should be the former but depends upon what your electrician said
If the latter repeat it but make sure you get 5 years on the next one

FWIW an EICR can be valid from 1 to 5 years - it’s down to the inspector to give the term, but I would only expect a 1 year report if some of the readings are poor.

As for new EICR on change of tenant - absolute rubbish but, again, if you have tenants changing every 12 months then I would recommend a report more often

Yes it’s a mess, but common sense has to apply.

For Landlords a good place to start is to google electrical safety council best practice guide No 4 and I think it’s now issue 7

My tenant is going on a rolling tenancy for a few months after the 12 month short term tenancy agreement finishes. The EiCR was done when their tenancy started. Will I have to have a new EICR for the time they are on a rolling tenancy? Then will I need another certificate with a new tenant a very short time afterwards?

Unless your electrician has stuffed you up with a clause in your EICR requiring them more frequently, you need only have one every 5 years, not in-between unless you have installed a new gas appliance.

“stuffed up” - what utter nonsense.

The typical validity period for an EICR is 5 years BUT if the test results are poor the spark may suggest a re-test in a shorter period of time - this is quite common for installations over 50 years old.

Also in the case of the 5 year validity - if you had 4 tenants in 4 years I would say you do need a retest to ensure the property is still electrically safe.

1 Like