EICR question needing answer

Hi everyone.

I am new to all of this so wanted to clarify something if I may please.

If I get the report done in March 2021 and my tenants decide they are leaving three months later do I need to get another EICR when new tenants move in?

Hi, I was in the same dilemma a couple of months ago; it’s the property that’s certified and has no connection with the tenants. The fact that an EICR (electrical inspection condition report) is done is also on the public register, the same principal as an EPC. If you are regulated by your local authority as a landlord; they will easily find this from the national register. Hope this helps and I’m also sure others will endorse the above. Thanks!

Thankyou. You have answered my question.

No
If the new certificate is satisfactory you serve the one you have as it should be in date for5 years

We have done EICR and PIR for years in HMO.
My understanding and practice is we have to submit EICR and Gas Certificates to the LA ( and have done so for decades in HMO’s) as per the new regulations.

Landlords must obtain a report (usually an Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR) from the person conducting the inspection and test which explains its outcomes and any investigative or remedial work required.
Landlords must then supply a copy of this report to the tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test, to a new tenant before they occupy the premises, and to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request for the report.

I was not aware of any public register for these and cannot find it. My electrician is also not aware of a public register.
I understand there is a register for competent electricians.
I should be grateful for the link to this register.

The default period between checks is 5 years. However, some electricians specify every change of tenant in the report and this is then binding. You must make sure in advance that your electrician is not going to do this without good cause.

I just bought a house with an EICR that said it needed renewing safety 5 years or on a change of tenant. I asked my electrician and he said that was rubbish and I didn’t need to get a new one.

It’s another scam by rogue electricians to make more money - I would suggest, if your electrician puts that, you never use them again!

1 Like

The problem is unless the electrician is used to doing these certificates ( in the HMO sector) they don’t understand how they work.
Landlord’s who also are not experienced just don’t know what to expect and they are the one’s who are being taken advantage of.

Unfortunately it does not help that the legislation is worded ambiguously.
I think writing to NICIEC and the NRLA will expose issues that they could rectify.
Electricians have to be regulated so if you have an issue you can complain to their governing body. They can get struck off!
Another trick I learnt when I was finding a new electrician ( when our regular chap retired) was to book in two PIR ( as they were then) reports ( so if the first one failed you can get a second opinion).
Then you really do have solid evidence if you are being scammed!

1 Like

HI all,

Is the ESC available here on OR, the same as the ECIR?

if not, it doesnt look like OR provides this, How are you all getting the ECIR done?

Ben

I have asked NRLA a couple of times to take up the issue with NICEIC, but have not had a reply. I agree with you that the more people that ask them this, the higher the priority this will become for them.

Perhaps all Landlords here could write to the NRLA