What gets tenants picked? Landlords & tenants!

Dear landlords,

What is it that a tenant states when providing information, such as are you employed, how much do you earn, who will be living with you, any pets or children, etc…that gets you chosen?

I provide the facts but is it good to put something personal, such as i love this home and will look after like my own or just keep it to hard facts? Ive tried both ways but still unsure what it is ive stated that has got me chosen in the past. I am now looking again and its so hard out there to find a good property and then get to view it and then to get selected for it! My income is enough so it shouldn’t be that that is held against me.

Any advice id be very grateful for.

3 Likes

Anything that will make you stand from the crowd, is a good idea. Maybe, you can invite your perspective LL to visit your current property to PROVE that you look after your home really well, keep it very clean and tidy? I certainly would love if T made an extra effort like this.

If I may add, there’re things that would put me off. When TT act desperate or in need to move ASAP, it is a big red flag. In the current climate when TT don’t get thrown out on the street within weeks, desperation is always a red flag. Also, I wouldn’t appreciate if TT badmouth their current LL or neighbours. We have enough people like this posting on this forum. And they never understand why they struggle to find a place ))).
Friendly, cooperative, authentic, willing to provide all necessary documents fast is the way to go, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, that is really helpful information and i love the idea of inviting the LL to see how i have kept my current property.

3 Likes

This is really nice to hear! I included a letter with a recent application, in which the landlord and/or letting agents were welcomed to visit my current rental, but honestly wasn’t sure if it might just be laughable. I’ll feel more confident doing that next time!

1 Like

There’s no one size fits all, Basil. I saw this suggestion before on this forum, and I adopted it for myself. I doubt that people will find it laughable. I’d rather think that some will be too lazy/buzy to visit you. But chosing the wrong T can have such negative consequences that more private LL now would consider doing any checks they can.

2 Likes

My partner and I were just saying that if we were landlords, and we may end up being at some point, we’d do everything we legally could to vet potential tenants, and one of the first things we’d want to do is see how they live; it’s just so telling.

3 Likes

hard facts only, i never want to hear people’s personal tales. I find that the OR voice messages are 100% personal tales and 0% hard facts so I tend to ignore them. I want people who can answer my 5 simple screening questions fully and accurately, that’s it.

2 Likes

I liked the sound of my tenants straight away after their initial enquiry.

They were respectful and polite, answered the questions I had asked about income and jobs etc., provided extra information like where they lived now and why they wanted to move. Although we had about six on the short list for viewings, they were my favourites from the start.

Obviously they still had to pass had to pass references, but as they were our favourites, they were the only ones we took the references on.

They have been model tenants.

3 Likes

Hi do you have any more properties available

If that question is directed to me, no I don’t, I only have the one.

1 Like