When do you rely on insurance and when do you simply suck it up?

Up to now, I’ve never used any of the LL insurance policies that we have on our properties. My logic (which may be faulty - hence this post) is that they are there for the utter disasters like a house fire or gas explosion.

I’m wondering what other LLs do and what your experience has been of claiming on LL policies and what it does to your premiums.

For example, we’ve just had an old fence blow down. It’s going to cost a grand to put up a new one. Is that the kind of thing you’d claim on insurance or would you just suck it up and move on. Another example, we’ve got a chimney stack that is in a bad state of repair and needs probably somewhere around £500 to rebuild. Would you claim on that?

My concern is that by claiming on one policy, I’ll have to declare at every renewal that I’ve claimed in the last five years and this will put all my policies up to the point where over a year or two, it would have been cheaper to simply pay for the odd big job. Is that a valid concern?

Depends if you have to pay the first £500 or whatever

I think all insurance is almost useless and only worthwhile for big claims.

Putting money in a pot for smaller repairs works best for me.

1 Like

It doesn’t make sense to claim for minor stuff and that goes for any insurance car, home insurance etc. just suck it up

Thanks… Yep pretty much what i thought.