Agent not giving rolling contract

My tenancy is coming close to expiry and I want to renew my contract on a rolling basis.

My current contract does state that after expiry it’s month to month.

But the letting agents are refusing to give my a rolling contract. They’re saying that they can only give me a fixed contract.

How can I ensure that they do?

The fixed term AST contract automatically becomes a periodic of you stay in place , that is it just rolls automatically.

The estate agent wants to charge your landlord money for a new contract otherwise they lose out in profits

Just sit tight pay your rent and you will be in a periodic contract

2 Likes

They just gave me an ultimatum saying if I don’t sign the new renewal, they’ll issue me a section 13, form 4 and increase my rent by 25% for a rolling one.

My contract expires in few days.

Are you paying well under local market rate ? You could challenge a S13 through the ombudsman, but if the new rent is still under market rate the ombudsman may find in agents favor and even increase to local market rate. They are clearly trying to bully you into signing for a new fixed term.

ask is the rent staying the same with a renewal contract ?

No. My rent is at the market price for the property. The new rent is way above the market rate.

The fixed contract is near about the market rate.

No with the renewal they want to increase it as well 9%

I agree with the others let them serve a section 13 notice and challenge it
25% is too high
It should match inflation or a maximum of 5%
Last year it was higher but inflation hit double digits so that was acceptable

This year they may not get away with

2 Likes

If you refuse to sign the new contract then your tenancy will just become periodic and the agent cant prevent that. You could challenge a s13 rent increase and if the amount is way above market rent you would probably win. However, the agent may just decide to serve you a s21 notice to begin eviction proceedings, so if youre hoping to stay at this property longer you will need to think carefully about your response.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.