Another glimmer of hope maybe

"Landlords might have found themselves an ally in the newest minister at the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities.

Lucy Frazer – the latest MP to join returning boss Michael Gove – is a landlord who rents out a property in London and also defended the government’s decision to stand down eviction protections for residential tenants after the pandemic.

She told BBC Question Time in 2021 that tenants had been “protected for a long period of time”, adding “it is important that landlords can take control where necessary”. "

I did say just a glimmer! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi Mark, yes, as you say just a glimmer but certainly a comment in the right direction at last. It makes total sense that Government provide more support to good landlords as we are a key element in the housing crisis and apart from bad landlords who need to face the music for their crimes we all appear to be persecuted by endless legislation telling us what we can and can’t do with our properties.

4 Likes

we need more than a glimmer, we need a floodlight

I will stand and applaud, when we landlords get some serious measure of protection from the errant tenants.

1. Removal of limitations on bonds / deposits and final months rent in advance.
  2. Removal of fee exemptions for tenants.
  3. Introduction of independent arbitrators for bond / deposit disputes.
  4. Introduction of fast-track evictions, and the court facilities to enable such.
  5. Revision of the impractical 5-year wear & tear court policy - we’re not renting hotel rooms by the day.
  6. Cooperation from Councils to guarantee social tenants, instead of knifing landlords in the back.
  7. Introduction of practical protection for landlords against pet damage.
  8. Pragmatic rules regarding tenant abandonment.
  9. Reintroduction of council tax exemptions / discounts for unoccupied property.

Anyone cares to add further to the list.

3 Likes

well said but i fear item 6 will never happen

1 Like

Neither will the other 8 items…!! :unamused:

The government is too narrow minded / blinker visioned, to see the fairness or benefits to all parties in the PRS.

3 Likes

Im a tenant but i totally agree.
Us good tenants ( probably the silent majority) who pay their rent on time and maintain t the property as if it were our own are penalised due to current problems.
I recentky applied fir a proerty and had to provide 11 dicuments and it still wasnt enough.
I get that landlords have to be ultra careful these days and think openrent is a great site fir both private landlords and tenants, however, because i cant access that 12th dicument thru no fault of my own, i cant get a property if landlord requests full credit check.
I have more than enough documents for the basix check so shall have to look elsewhere unless landlord is happy with basic check
Gutted

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.