AST Expired - Rent Increased - Tribunal

The main thing to remember is that if you pay more than your current rent then you will be seen to of accepted a higher rent.

1 Like

Alternatively from the landlords perspective he/she has no relationship or background concerning your tenure and he should reserve the right to vet and qualify his own tenancy given that it is his property. He could have issued notice or insisted that notice was given under Section 8 prior to purchasing the property unless he had the chance to agree the terms of the new AST as you were in periodic anyway. That way if you couldn’t come to an agreement over rental terms you go your separate ways. I have always invested in my properties (refurb) on change of tenancy and so prefer a short void period between tenancies anyhow and during which time I conduct viewings and interview potential tenants. Market rate is also not a deciding factor as it depends on the aesthetics, standard of decor and the fabric of the property and any upgrades not captured between properties and what tenants are prepared to pay for the differences between properties on similar listings. Good luck at the tribunal as the landlord may come equally well prepared with justifiable personal arguments for remaining in the PRS related to mortgage commitments (unique to individual Landlords curcumstances), legislation changes related to electrical wiring checks (recently introduced), gas safety and insurances not withstanding inherited repair issues. Landlords are already at a tipping point, so trust me you would rather pay rent at that level than find a 30-40% deposit and fund a mortgage with all of the above.

3 Likes

I have to say 450 for 3 beds is very cheap. Rents that price disappeared years ago. Unless its a hovel I would say you have had it good for sone time. I would think about what you do bext if I was you. Whatthey are asking is not

1 Like

Depends on location. We’re in a 3 bedroom for 550 with a front and back garden in a nice part of the town. We saw lower rents for properties with less.

Certainly not in London, of course!

1 Like

It’s not corrupt. It’s all down to the evidence. Figures cannot be just made up. If housing at the same size, bedrooms, and often spec is being advertised at or around what you currently pay, then you shouldn’t really have anything to worry about. Landlords cannot ask over the odds. Also, only look at your postcode and up to 2-3miles around the maximum, I would say. Anything more than that, rates are likely to be different.

2 Likes

On the contrary, I would argue that although we are governed under the tories, it seems that landlords are less and less protected and tenants are increasingly more protected. I’m not saying the former or latter is any more favourable than the other, but its unarguably unfair at the moment. Everyone is in some doubt with their finances at the moment, but the government is doing everything to protect tenants from being evicted and not paying their rent and the landlord are left with no support. Many landlords have their own mortgages on their properties to pay and require that rent to make those payments. Landlords are truly struggling, with 800,000 landlords suffering from rent arrears at the moment. I wouldn’t really call that a benefit from a capitalist system.

4 Likes

I agree. I usually ask for more rent in areas where my property is close to a station and the simply fact that mine are modern and have a better standard of spec. Some may be cheaper but haven’t had carpet changed in 15 years and with mouldy cabinets. There’s always the wider picture to be observed.

1 Like

Then landlords need to become more organized together. The reason tenants have sway is due to the number of organizations dedicated to supporting them. So do small businesses. I haven’t seen many such organizations for landlords.

The mortgages argument is also quite tricky as mortgage payments is a reinvestment. You’re asking the government to pay off your principal. Other businesses are not asking the government to essentially put money in their pocket in the same way. Covering rent payments on your business and employee payments isn’t the same as paying off an investment.

And frankly if you were better at budgeting then it would be much easier to weather this. If the objection is that you’re having to drain your savings account- well join the club! Why do you think the tenants are in arrears? They don’t have any savings left!

I agree that some sort of organisation is needed. I haven’t heard of anything like that either.

Yes, mortgage payments are a reinvestment but that investment is worth nothing if you cannot afford to actually make the payments required.

I budget very well and I don’t draw from savings. Yes, I’m sure many tenants have had to eat into their savings, and equally, some have probably just stopped paying regardless of their savings. I sympathise with tenants and landlords.

Unfortunately, I have heard of some tenants taking this opportunity not to pay and thinking that it’s a free ride without fully understanding what that means.

5 Likes

We have the NRLA but recently they are now more concerned with making money from services they promote rather than helping landlords in other ways

2 Likes

If you haven’t had to draw from savings then stop your belly aching. You’ve got plenty of money to pay your mortgage, stop bawling that the government won’t pad your portfolio.

Every investment is a risk.

I never once complained about myself. I was speaking in general about any landlord.

I’m not relying on any support from the government, nor have I ever. I was merely stating that there is none for those that may need it, same as a tenant.

My initial comment was in regard to a comment a tenant left anyway, so I’m unsure why you now made me your issue. @David122 is right. Stop moderating people’s posts, especially if you’re not in a position to.

2 Likes

That’s true. I’m finding less and less available information to read. Back to the solicitors we go :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Also, you’re making an assumption that one might have “plenty of money” and a mortgage.
Neither is really your concern, especially since I didn’t ask you any questions about any situation I might be in. Like everyone in this thread, it was in regard to the tenant’s original post.

In future, mind your own business, not everyone elses’.

1 Like

Mind your agents own business first if you’re going to whine that the government isn’t padding landlords’ investment portfolios.

2 bedrooms and they are tiny.

I’ve never seen a landlord lose out in the long run. They always get their money.

then you dont know many landlords

3 Likes

They are board members of big businesses so I can believe they have properties for rent in a hidden portfolio somewhere. These people never have to worry about putting food on their tables. For less work than a guy who earns ÂŁ16,000 a year for digging a road.

I certainly dont feel like paying ÂŁ600 a month to live in an area where scousers smoke drugs openly in my street!