Bills for a 1 bed flat

Just about to sign the contract for a 1 bed flat in Brockley. I knew the bills were not included and obviously am happy (!) to pay council tax, service charge whatever the electricity and water bills are. The landlord told me that I needed to pay her for the utilities as it will take time for the account to change from her (??)

She has just added a Custom Clause to the contract stipulating £280 per month (Oct to March) for electric and water. This feels excessive. I own a 5 room house in Manchester and my bills for electric and water are around £100 per month.

Am I being unreasonable to question this? I think she is trying to increase the rent by stealth. She is getting cross with me as we had been negotiating this for a few weeks now, but this figure has never been discussed

I would be writing to the utilities with meter readings and tell them the date you moved in . They will be very quick. Assuming you are not on a sub meter

1 Like

I am confused why it would take long. Normally it takes ‘minutes’ to change the occupier details with utility suppliers (IE water, electricity, gas).

My understanding is that the Landlord cannot legally charge you more than it cost them, as that would make them an energy reseller.

If your energy or water consumption is measured by a meter, your landlord must use that information to calculate your bill. In the case where a single meter serves multiple tenants, the landlord is obligated to devise a rational approach for calculating the individual rent for each tenant and provide an explanation of this process upon request.

You also should not be paying ‘service charge’. This is an expense the Landlord is liable for, and they should charge a rental rate to provide them sufficient funds to cover this.

2 Likes

this is illegal. She cannot charge you more than you use and, if it’s a separate flat from hers and you’re not sharing, utilities wouldn’t normally be included anyway.

I’m not sure I would want her as LL. She doesn’t sound like she has a clue and if she is “getting cross” at this early stage when she’s supposed to be all sweetness and light, imagine what she might be like when you have signed the contract and come across a proper issue.

1 Like