Can a cash buyer rent out the flat as an air B&b

What is the law on a residential building where a new owner is renting out as an air B&b? There are 5 flats in the building , so one main front and back door. He bought it at auction so no mortgage. We have a residents managment company run by me. Only to cover our insurance and electrics of communal area. The other owners or tenants are families . Strangers have been coming and going also ringing the doorbell of a mum with a young baby… what is the law please? I thought a commercial business like that isn’t allowed … thanks in advance .

It will depend on the wording of your lease and also possibly whether your local council has any restrictions.

Many, (most) leases preclude the property being used as a business and only allow its use as a private residence. Airbnb counts as a business.

Thanks I thought so. It’s in the lease /deeds about not being used as a business which is different than renting it out to a permanent tenant?

Yes, a permanent tenant counts as a single private dwelling.

Hello , I’m due to chat to the other owners and I’m sure they’ll raise the concern about the new owner renting it out as an Air B&B. The deeds do say it’s residential use only. His new lease extension applied for isn’t in place yet but surely the old one with 56 years left still means he’s obligated to abide by this agreement? The reason I haven’t acted yet since finding out a few days ago is this new owner is the most helpful and has many properties, used to own 3 out of the 5 at one time in the 90’s-2003. He’s currently undertaking the facade maintenance that was well overdue and not done under previous owners that were the directors due to deaths and absentee owner abroad. The facade is grade 2 listed and we are repairing it like for like as stipulated by law. He understands the correct method needed and a 1/4 is completed satisfactorily, my 1/4 on Monday. He’s saving us £15,000 plus as had quoted from people who like others previously have no real experience and knowledge of our 1780 old converted coach house. It’s always crumbled and looked bad within 1/2 years. You see why I’m inclined to get this all completed . Then once completed I planned to tactfully remind him of the law against the air B&B. What is that procedure legally ? Any options and advice welcome please.

You get the management company/freeholder to send letters to all owners reminding them of the lease prohibition.

Thanks, I’m the director of our residents management company. I’m going to talk with him as it’s a costly legal issue if going forward with an injunction my solicitor says . I’m hoping as a fellow owner he’s stil obligated by the original lease of 55 years remaining as his new lease if 150 years is only in the process of being renewed.

The lease conditions will be the same.

It’s on a years rental with air B&B I just found it😡

That could be a big mistake by the owner. A years rental is very likely to be an AST whatever Airbnb’s paperwork says. They may find it difficult/imposdible to evict the occupant.

Ah no, it’s not 1Air b&B occupant it’s many each week. The property is on that site for a year it says on there. Thanks for your replies/ do you know what’s the simple or best advice regarding an oven issue. My tenants are not any use at even changing fuses, and when they used theyr own microwave it caused a lot of problems. The one remaining thing not working is the oven just says “Stop “. Can’t believe they didn’t get it sorted when I paid for the previous issue to be resolved at my expense although it was their responsibility/own gadget.