Canceling Tenenacy 2 days after sighning?

Hi can anyone advice me please…
its my first ever tennacy contract, Ive payed 3 months up front and my holding deposit ive also sighned the tennacy.
On the day of collecting my keys, i was informed by the lanlords at the property that the previous tennant had alot of problems with the neighbours, theres a man opposite the back who always watches & stairs into the garden/house to top that off the neighbour to the right, has supposedly harrased the last female tennant and made her feel uncomfortable, i was put of by this straight away. I was so happy up until this point, it had ruined the whole excitement/exsprience for me to the point i wanted to cancel.

What are my Rights as a tennant to cancel? Without been charged
Isnt there legally ment to be a cooling of period?
After moving in What if the neighbours are horrible as they say i woudnt want them ruining my first exsprience of renting my first home, only reciving this information after handing over the keys to me is very misleading,
id of preferd they didnt tell me at all,
to me its like saying i forgot to mention the house is haunted! Or someone died here!
Can someone please point me in the right direction.
I would apricate any help/information regarding this, if anyone else has experienced somthing similar? Please help :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie

1 Like

Hi

Tenancy contracts do not have a cooling off period. You can potentially unwind the contract if you have been provided false or misleading information, ie you asked during viewing and were told they were all good. If you didn’t ask, the landlord has no responsibility to tell you of issues, in which case you are stuck with the contract. You could ask the landlord if they are willing to surrender the tenancy but this is at their discretion and they are likely to want at least some rent to cover void periods.

I agree with @Richard19. Misleading information includes serious omissions. Tell the agent you want to cancel and get your money back.

Im going threw the same its a killer i have water coming threw the floor and bare electrical wires i have a 6 year old boy aswel its a joke

1 Like

With respect, I don’t think this is necessarily the same scenario. If the property is prone to flooding in the way you describe and they didn’t tell you this in advance then yes, it might be a breach of the Consumer Rights Act, but if this is a new problem then it has to be dealt with as such and fixed by the landlord. Bare electrical wires can never be a “feature” of the property and would never be acceptable under any circumstances. Did the landlord give you a copy of the Electrical Inspection report for the property, which is a legal requirement?

1 Like