Care agency - correct procedure

I have a care agency that want to rent my property to then put people in there with a carer - what further information do I require and is this fully above board :yawning_face:
TIA

care of? Criminals . Old people . Disabled . Mentally ill or young offenders ?

2 Likes

Yes deffo thank you - the more I think about it the more it’s making me think :thinking: sorry if I sound stupid but I’m fairly new to all this and obviously want to do things above board !!

This kind of arrangement puts you at risk. You lose all control and must rely on a third party to do things correctly. Barge poles spring to mind….

4 Likes

Thanks Mark, I’ve put it in writing to my solicitor to find out how I would stand legally. It sounds to me like it’s subletting and I would have no idea who is actually living there :flushed:

If you’re new to renting then maybe start with normal tenancies so that you can gain experience. There is already plenty that can go wrong. When you have experience, you can try something more exotic like the care provider.

Hi I’ve had tenants for 18 months which have been easy tbh but this new option just seemed to open up lots of questions - hence my question on here for advice

WHO do they want to put in ?

This is their explanation -

The tenancy will go in the business name. The business Will always be responsible for paying the rent. Once the property gets its first tenant their rent will go into your account but the business will top up until the second tenant is in to complete the rent but our company will be paying your rent initially. Hope this explains it. Thank you

that tells you nothing. What SORT of people will be in there ? If they do not tell you then they are evaisive for a reason that will put you off

2 Likes

Sounds like written by a child. There needs to be extensive terms with details. Suppose they don’t get a tenant in for 6 months, this suggests you won’t get paid. What if they get a tenant and tell you they haven’t?

2 Likes

Ask your accountant to check their company at Companies House, trading record/reserves and also get a written director’s guarantee that in the event of company failure they will be personally liable for the rent. If they won’t do it walk away double quick!

2 Likes

I suggest you move on and find regular tenants.

4 Likes

They have not told you WHO will be in there have they?

No :yawning_face: which is my concern. As I do my own viewings etc as I want to know who will be living in my properties !!
Sounds like subletting to me !!

1 Like

do not do it sounds too risky

1 Like

I think this all sounds ok if you do your homework. Can be a good long term arrangement and someone who is disadvantaged that needs a carer will appreciate it.
Having said all that you need to ensure the property matches the needs i.e a wheelchair user not suited to lots of steps. Many care agencies have properties with these kinds of arrangements and it’s good to help others sometimes. And yes I’ve done this previously and no I don’t represent or work for an agency. Good luck.

1 Like

This sounds like a company let and you would have no control over who lives there, either now or in the future for successive tenants. I personally wouldn’t want this and prefer to meet tenants. We were offered similar last year but opted not to proceed in favour of choosing our tenants instead.

3 Likes

Let this fish go and get a good tenant with no guarantor . Sounds like you are outsourcing your flat? Why do this unless you have difficulty letting.

1 Like

Hi yes I have done, thank you for responding. Gut feelings mean something !! Spoken with my management company and evidently I can’t let to company’s so it was a great get out clause in the end :+1: