Changing rent payment date

Hi i just wanted to find out the procedure on changing a rent payment date, as the date set by my landlord on the 9th of each month does not coincide with my benefit payment on the 21st off each month with universal credit, can this be changed please as UC has stated dates can not be moved on there side unless of special circumstances and if it can’t be changed by open rent or the landlord in charge, what is the reason as to why, as i would assume being a landlord you would understand the situation that every tenant has different circumstances

Hi, this issue comes up quite often on the Community.

This thread should explain: Changing the rent collection date

The short answer is that it doesn’t matter what day the rent is paid as long as it is paid before the due day. If you want to pay on the 21st, you can pay on the 21st – as long as you are paying in advance (i.e. for the upcoming period) then this is fine. There’s usually no need to put that in writing or make a change to the contract.

Hi Elisa

Please check as the UC pays rent in arrears so please keep the proper record.

As I have one tenant and the most of the rent paid by UC and then top up is paid by tenant.

I just keep the record on excel spreadsheet and also sent it to tenant.

Hi and the thing is i have paid my firsts months rent and deposit ahead, its just from now getting my rent payment dates to coincide with my Universal payments going forward, but he dont want to change it, even like what you said keeping a spreadsheet that can be kept for his records and sent to me would be a good idea

Thank you for replying, i will have a look at the thread you sent, and like what you said sounds straight forward enough to be done, my firsts months rent and deposit has been paid upfront, just literally my rent date and universal credit date are different , so i asked my landlord to please make it the same day as he will get full rent guaranteed on that day then saves the late payment everytime going forward

Hi and the thing is i have paid my firsts months rent and deposit ahead, its just from now getting my rent payment dates to coincide with my Universal payments going forward, but he dont want to change it, even like what you said keeping a spreadsheet that can be kept for his records and sent to me would be a good idea

Hi Elisha

I can understand from your landlord points of view as well even it’s seems straight forward but it is time consuming and rent is paid in arrears.

The reason is that you have to submit your income every month and if you take a day or two late payment is paid late and it varies according to your income and your circumstances. Please note sometimes housings benefit may not be enough to cover your rent.

Also you could speak to UC and could explain to them if they can the rent directly to landlords
Or you could pay to him according to the date you will receive.

Since you have paid 1st month rent in advance and deposit and the rent payment you will get it would be in arrears. But your landlord’s rent would be kept in advance as agreed. I hope you understand.

Yes i am doing that, i sent my coach a message to see if he can be paid directly on his chosen date im hoping this works , my payments from UC definitely cover my rent , thank you also for your advice and taking time to reply to me