Confusion about levelling

I am quite confused about the term levelling the floor.

so when i watch YouTube, it is all pouring some sort of liquid stuff then slowly it became smooth.

But for majority of the UK ones they are like nailing smaller boards onto the existing floor.

My question is, what are the types of levelling and does the latter method get the sort of “levelling” you want? because i got a feeling it is just make the floor more even but could still have slops and stuff.

Any suggestion helps!

Imagine pouring water on a tray. The water surface would be absolutely level regardless of how uneven or sloped the tray is. The levelling liquid will act the same way.

The flooring surface below can’t have any movement.

what do you mean flooring surface below can’t have any movement? you mean when you are pouring? Because floor moves subsides over time right?

Has someone quoted you to do this?

Wood expands and contracts with temperature and moisture, not the right material to have levelling compound on.

There’s flexible leveller, for wood floors. I understand this dents easily as soft. After moving a bed expect big indents where the legs have been.

What happens when you need access underneath floorboards ie for pipes or cables?

so are you saying when it is wood levelling it would eventually need to level again as it will become bumpy?

Compound levelling (liquid) is mainly used on concrete floors.

Based on your other thread, they will not be using levelling compound.

They are building up the floor using timber. If they do the job right it will last forever.

But how come my current one is not level and bouncy and bumpy? was the proper way not done?

when you say last forever i mean why it is not level in the first place. you see my point? it must of levelled in the past and then it became not levelled a in few years.

Oh and it is a flat btw.

Forget you tube , Until the floor is up you will never know why it is wonky . I am a joiner and have re leveled quite a few floors… Asking these questions is futile. All guesswork

right, it feels like it can easily give me surprises that i don’t need to head into but I have one key question which can just save me from all that trouble and the question is:

Are you able to install a kitchen on a wonky/uneven floor or it has to be perfectly flat? i have seen ikea kitchen with rails locking to the wall and then just adjust the legs contact the floor with slightly different height to level the bottom kitchen cabinet.

If it is the former i just forget all this floor levelling trouble. I mean tenants don’t care that much right?

the legs on kitchen units are adjustable by about 40mm, at least on the ones I fit. to worktops will be level . The kickbords tho will need adjusting to the floor level

so once it is all nicely “tailored” fit to the uneven floor, how long does it take for those floor to change shape again? given it is sloped now and assuming it was originally flat, i guess levelled wooden floor in the past now changed shape? and my concern is how long will it change shape again.

you are asking a question no one can answer as you do not know what is happening under the floor

well, it is a 90 year old flat so not hard to imagine right? or you are saying there are countless ways how subfloors are built and guessing them are virtually impossible?

If it’s 90 years old, it’s most likely one of two things:
It settled many years ago and won’t be moving now, so crack on with the kitchen.
There could be a damp/ timber infestation problem that means it has started recently and will get worse. That needs fixing properly by treating or replacing timber hosts beneath the floor.
But as Colin said you can’t tell until the floorboards are lifted.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.