Discrimination against single people

Has anyone here faced discrimination due to being single? I’m a mature lady, I earn an average salary and have good credit rating, references etc…
I’m missing out in favour of applicants who have a partner. One particular advert even specifies couple in the advertisement. Any ideas how I can overcome this obstacle without shacking up with a fella?

2 Likes

Shack up with a woman. :slight_smile:

Is this actually common or have you just seen in one ad?

I see couples sometimes as a higher risk. (Depends on situation).

If a landlord wants a couple…I dont see how you can change that other than perhaps offer rent in advance or guarantor.

Yes. It’s common. Landlords favour applicants that have 2 incomes. And yes there’s an advert on here currently. It’s actually a job with reduced rent and they want a couple.

1 Like

As long as you meet earnings criteria, credit, references etc, then I don’t see why landlords would not want a single person. As a landlord, it’s also less wear and tear which is generally a positive! but perhaps they think single people are a riskier option because it’s dependent on one salary only? Landlords’ main concern is about risk so you can try to mitigate that by offering a guarantor etc as Mark suggested.

I rent out to more singles than doubles .Less wear and tear

3 Likes

I can only suggest that some LL’s have more faith in continued payment of rent if a working couple rent their property rather than just one person.

2 Likes

Maybe, applying for lower rent properties will help the situation? At soem point rent will be increased, and you should be able to comfortably afford the increase.

Renting to a couple is safer. If one partner loses a job, another one will still have it. LL go for a safer option if they have a choice.
Do we have to throw the “D” word all the time? I don’t believe it applies here.
Also, how mature are you? Can you convince LL that you won’t retire in the next few years? Again, not discrimination. Just suitability assessment and risk mitigation.

1 Like

The physical jobs required definitely will suit a couple more, especially as they need to be done fast. Also, they would suit younger, more energetic tenants much better.

1 Like

That’s rude. You don’t know my capabilities.
I have over 10 years experience a professional housekeeper for high profile employers, for the last 2 years, I managed an entire country estate and also have vast experience managed holiday lets.
I’m curious to know how they would avoid discriminating against disabled applicants. I’m 48 and work far harder and more effectively than any 30 year old. It’s definitely not an old persons job.
I feel discriminated against for being single. I’m certain this isn’t legal.

3 Likes

If I’m required to be in a relationship in order to rent. That’s discrimination.

2 Likes

Muted you. You’re clearly a landlord amd not a very nice one.

2 Likes

They are advertising for TWO people not one ,and self praise is no reccomendation

2 Likes

Being single/in a relationship isn’t one of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010. Citizens Advice website are a good resource for more info. IMO, it would be difficult to prove this landlord is overlooking your application due to this specific requirement, but even if they did admit to it, you would still not be able to sue them as they aren’t breaching any discrimination laws by choosing a couple over a single person. Even proving a landlord’s discrimination of a protected characteristic, such as race, age etc, is difficult (although not impossible, but certainly costly and time consuming). If you haven’t already done so, I would recommend reaching out to the landlord and explaining your experience etc, and any additional financial buffers (guarantor, savings etc) but at the end of the day, it would be the landlord’s discretion who they rent it to. Best of luck.

1 Like

I come on here and all I keep seeing is individuals stating they are being discriminated against. I support the homeless and not once have I heard an individual regardless of age ever mention about discrimination. They are grateful that someone cares, and they concentrate on a positive outcome. It sounds like you have a roof over your head not a shop doorway. Brush yourself off and start over, the valuable time you are on here, you could be looking at properties available now.

No, I am not a landlord. I am also looking for a property and on Universal Credit due to health, but you will never get me complaining regardless of each outcome after applying for properties. I am grateful I have the opportunity. Maybe that’s something you could think about.

4 Likes

I have to disagree with most of this. Younger and more energetic are not synonymous.

Being able and being responsible is all that matters.

3 Likes

As someone mentioned above, I rent out my property and I do actually prefer single tenants as long as they meet the earning criteria.
Less wear and tear

3 Likes

Probably a daft question for Rebecca but have you contacted the landlord if the property you have quoted? If I was the landlord I would definitely consider you given your experience.

2 Likes

Simple, ask a family member to act as your partner or couple wanting to live together.

Then when the landlord finds out you are a liar you will be rejected

2 Likes