Discrimination against single people

Hi Rebecca
Over the last 10 years I have let more to singletons than couples (I just checked)…I see applicants on basis of order of contact and completion of prescreening…I have let to more mature and young applicants in that mix.
I meet all my tenants and try to be a good fair landlord especially in these difficult times for everybody.
I wish you success as I see from my applicant numbers how hard it is to find a place to live.
(I have only had problems with one single tenant and 3 couples in that time so consider myself v lucky)

1 Like

It’s a practical and financial advert. Would you complain if it was a bigger property and it would suit families?.

So many people use the D word when they can’t get what they want, do we say that couples and families are discriminated when advert says it would suit a single person, no.

Either approach the landlord directly, explain your experience, show your salary, if the two add up sufficiently, then you are on the table to be considered by the landlord. If he gets two other people with equal amount of experience, but more income but there are two of them, profile fits it’s highly likely that they are going to be a stronger consideration. If one of them has a situation which affects their ability to work or do change overs then the LL will not be let down as a second person can ensure his/her change overs are not affected.

Put the D word away and start selling your capabilities, better, or change your job and get a higher salary.

1 Like

Self aggrandisement isn’t the way forward, neither is spouting discrimination when it clearly asks for a couple.

It is also not RUDE when someone suggests the obvious just because it doesn’t match your chain of thought.

1 Like

You would absolutely tick the box of a preferred tenant for me! A ‘mature lady’ will probably look after the place better than almost any other age group! I think though, many LLs like the security of 2 incomes. Good luck.

2 Likes

Are you sure they want a couple and that they infact want ‘one household’ rather than 2 sharers?

I experienced this today I was shocked, disappointed and sad that I was being discriminated against. They asked for 3 months in advance… I have the money but in principle I will not accept it. Basically the property is mine if I pay. She chose from 5 people so I had good references, I have a good job and earn a good salary is excess of £60k but I’m a single woman. Disgusting tbh so I don’t want their property I told them I’m no longer interested

I’m a bit confused. You say that the property is yours if you pay and also that you have the money? How do you know that they discriminated against you? Maybe their requirement for advance rent changed? That can and does happen. If any landlord had to choose between a number of tenants, by default they would need to reject some of them - this does not automatically mean it’s discrimination if you’re not chosen? Even if you’re a single woman (as am I), it’s not a protected characteristic under UK law.

1 Like

Just to give you another perspective… Recently, I turned down singles in favour of a couple expecting a baby because their need was greater for a 2 bed property in a very competitive area. Singles have more options open to them than young families.

3 Likes

I favour singles .Less wear and tear , also found females tend to look after a place better than men… If a landlord wants 3 months in advance ,so be it. Landlord may have other singles in their properties so saying discrimination will not work as the landlord can say I have single people in such and such a place . Miffed people always shout discrimination. >>Landlords property ,landlords choice

Be miffed… why single out single people I’ve been renting for a long time now not one landlord asked for rent in advance I have an excellent credit score and ear a good salary no debts I pay credit card in full every month so why would I take £7k from my savings give a landlord who doesn’t trust me to pay my rent when I can afford twice that every month but a couple don’t need to do the same I might be a better tenant on my own. If one is out of work how does the landlord know they will afford the rent. It is discriminating… because I’m single I’m a risk… please nonsense

Some landlords prefer single, some couples. Rough with the smooth. You can’t make all people think your way.

For every landlord that doesn’t want you there’s one that favours you.

Landlords view risk differently.

3 Likes

The agent called me and said I am the landlords preference of 6 applicants but because I am single they require 3 months rent in advance because if anything happens to me how will I pay the rent… he said a couple has someone to cover the rent if one can’t work. They keep my money for my entire stay in the property when I move they give it back. Tell me that’s fair why would I pay £10k to a landlord when it can be gaining interest in my bank account. Why is the deposit and one month rent not diffidence like every one else Would you pay that?? Is it fair?? They can go with a couple I will find something else

3 months rent in advance and then in the 4th month you pay monthly and so on , is how it should be

1 Like

Brian… the advert did not say couples only they allowed everyone to view, they did my referencing and asked me to pay holding deposit plus £250 to cover the cost of the lease… which I paid £1000… I passed the referencing and the agent said everything looks fine he will get back to me. I have to be earning £40k+ of which I earn nearly twice that.
Then calls me the next day with they want 3 month rent in advance because I’m a single person. Now tell me which part I didn’t understand maybe you can explain it since I seem to be confused.
I have found something else someone who trusts my single status but I feel let down I need to be in a couple to qualify to rent even though I have passed the referencing

So it’s ok for me to fork out all that money why… because I’m single… you having a laugh. I am their chosen of 6 applicants. So why didn’t they just go for a couple instead of putting me through that horrible ordeal. That’s not how it is… I have rented before. My single 20 year old is renting she didnt have that problem ? Don’t make excuses where there shouldn’t be

They want a fee to put together the AST?
This is now an illegal fee.

Being single isn’t a protected group.
6 months rent in advance is pretty common.

I think youve cut off your nose to spite your face.
3 months rent in advance then pay monthly, If this is the case then doesn’t seem too bad of a deal.

I would be a little concerned about the lease fee though.

You may have to forfeit your deposit?

You are joking… I have not cut my nose to spite my face. I found something else one months rent and deposit. When I told that landlord my experience he laughed and said ridiculous. Actually… I had 3 properties to choose from. I didnt post here because I lost out or cut off my nose because I know with my stability financially and I’m a good tenant I will find a decent landlord and a property. I posted because it is not fair to discriminate anyone… families with young kids, people with pets or single people. A deposit is there for the reason to cover any shortfalls or missed rent if people don’t pay evict them. I pay my rent a day before it’s due. I have savings to cover my rent if I’m not working.

Youve taken offence at landlords own risk assessment, which he/she has the right to do.

Insurers do exactely the same.

The whole idea that none dIscrimation is even possible is ridiculous. There will be couples screaming dIscrimation as landlords (such as Colin) prefer a single tenant as less wear and tear.

How does a landlord choose between 50 plus applicants without discriminating??

You stated things that unlikely to be accurate ie holding onto several thousand and get it back at end. If true then illegal.

5 weeks deposit is not to cover non payment of rent but damages and cleaning etc at end of tenancy.

The amount of the rent he wants to hold till the end of tenancy is £10k… 3 months rent. So now you know the amount it’s illegal. You just said it’s ok and the norm for a landlord to ask for rent in advance. Tell me… if he wanted a couple why didn’t he choose one from the get go why choose me knowing I’m single from my form take my £1000 and then say in fact I need 3 month rent as security. Why not say it right from the point of when I made the enquiry if he did I would’ve passed on it, I cannot take that kind of money out of my savings to sit in someone else’s bank account. Anyway…. It’s now water under the bridge I have a house to move into.