Due to Covid I pay for an empty flat 😕

Couple of years ago I had a tenant that needed to more out with still 6 months remaining on the contract. I didn’t take on any risk myself, I told her we will advertise straight away and as soon as we find someone suitable you will only be responsible for the rent up to when they move in. Anyhow it worked out fine for everyone as new tenant willing to move in within days of when she wanted to be out. So I helped her without losing out myself. However this was before the tenant fees act so all admin fees are forked out by the landlord now so stuff like Check in, check out inventory can cost a bit but essentially you are trying to get out of a contract and you will need to negotiate an exit fee, worst thing you can do is not do anything as that would cost you even more.

1 Like

Simply point blankly refusing to let you out of the contract is legal, but just mean and lazy and doesnt give landlords a great name. Surely if the landlord re-advertises and finds a tenant, and you pay his costs and rent up to new tenant moving in, you are then happy and landlord should be happy as he has another 6 months minimum without having to find a new tenant. It’s about a bit of compassion and making a business decision that doesn’t leave the landlord out of pocket.

2 Likes

actually christopher the law does state the landlord must take reasonable steps to re rent the property.

1 Like

Hello all, thank you a lot for your suggestions. Sorry, I delayed following up. Eventually, we reached an agreement that he will re-advertise and then a few days passed I got notified that he found a possible candidate, hence now I will pay just for the remaining days. I am waiting now for the confirmation, fingers crossed!

Nonetheless, it still boggles me if we weren’t able to find a new tenant what the outcome would be. From my perspective, due to an uncircumstance event, both parties ought to share the financial burden, as many of you suggested, have a reduction. Anyways, appreciate all of you for your contributions, a lot of good tips :blush:.

2 Likes

And it makes the real people in need hard to delive

It’s back to your tenancy agreement. If you have not been denied the right to find a replacement tenant, then your landlord’s reluctance isn’t relevant at all.