E-bike insurance

Today I had my renewal for buildings /contents from a well known insurance company and I was double checking and the insurance is void if the e-bike is involved in the claim !
Only place where a claim would go through is in a garage with suitable fire protection as in the building regs ! Unfortunately none of my properties have a garage so either the tenants leave them outside or leave altogether.
I will be writing to them to inform them of the problem!

1 Like

This is a very difficult issue for landlords at the moment as it is practically impossible to enforce a restriction on bringing e-bikes into the property even if you have it in the contract. I think that on balance, I would find an insurer willing to insure this if possible even if the premium is considerably more.

2 Likes

I’ve done some ringing around today and out of 8 companies 5 were iffy on e-bikes to say the least and the rest were ridiculous prices unless you had e-bikes cover removed !
Seems you can’t win!

Landlord law advise clause in contract prohibiting it
I also have clause that if tenant invalidates insurance policy they are liable for damages

1 Like

The problem is that if the house burns down because of an e-bike battery explosion, a contract clause isnt much use since the tenant, (if they survive) would not be able to afford to compensate you.

3 Likes

Isn’t that why you have a guarantor who is a home owner?

2 Likes

Yes, but good luck trying to recover £300k+ from them.

1 Like

David’s point is essential to consider @A_A . It’s all very well trying to cover every eventuality in your AST, but that’s absolutely no use to you if it results in the clauses being unenforcable to the point of not recovering your losses.

1 Like