ECIR and insufficient funds

I am about to have my ECIR report done. My concern is that if they report back that there is substantial work to be done, I won’t be able to afford it…If such a scenario does arise what are the courses of action available? Would my tenants who are good ones have to leave? I would imagine that not having the certificate will make my insurance invalid?

First of all ask the electrician what the interval is between his certificates
Don’t use him if it is next tenancy as it should be 5 years (unless the system is old)
Apart from a rewire they can correct the mistake and add the labour to the cost of the cert
They should not have to reissue you another certificate to pass so just make sure you are not being ripped off from the outset
Look on the NICEIC register and find a trustmark approved electrician
Rewires are only advised on a 20-25 year basis or if there have been a lot of add on
One chap published his report on here and it was nonsense so I advised him to write to NICEIC
They are a governing body. The electrician can lose his registration if evidence of wrong doing is provided ( I have done it twice successfully a decade ago)
Rewires can be done with tenants in situ. I asked ours to leave for 4 days
Everything else should be manageable
Your insurance is already invalid. The certificate was due on the first of this month or last July if the tenancy started then

Tenants wouldn’t have to leave and would be subject to the current eviction restrictions.

If you don’t have the funds to carry out the repairs needed on a property you’re letting then I don’t see how you can continue to operate as a landlord. You may need to sell the property with or without vacant possession.

2 Likes

That’s easy to say and judge, but landlords have been pretty shafted under Covid - if tenants haven’t been paying and you’ve still had mortgages to pay, I can see how you could get into this situation pretty easily.

Having said that, the work has to be done, @Christopher4, so it may be a question of trying to get a bank loan, or putting it on a credit card (may be you could get a zero percent card if your credit history is ok).

1 Like

Not a judgement Cath, just a practical reality. I understand how easily it can happen, but some working capital for such periodic expenditure is a pre-requisite for any landlord. I’m afraid not all landlords are going to survive the current crisis and its important for us all to consider whether its still viable to continue operating.

1 Like

Its just cost me £2500 for my 6 properties EICR and faults rectified, 4 out of 6 new fuse boards.Yes thats a lot of cash, but I am good for 5 years and properties are safe and tenants happy. Its less than a months rent for them all and goes against tax. Any decent LL will understand this.

1 Like

You need to exit the Buy to Let business ASAP . If LLs are running things so tightly that they cant accumulate a reserve rainy day fund to cover voids , tenants not paying or maintenance issues such as this then it’s time to throw the in the towel . Voids and tenants not paying could potentially be a much higher cost than a major electrical update . You should consider yourself lucky the tenant is paying you the rent . I’m owed thousands at the moment . Sell up before you get repossessed or even worse a tenant comes to some harm .

1 Like

you know the fine can be £30k right? you better get it done URGENTLY. its often just an earth or maybe a new consumer unit none of these things are really a big deal. rewires are rarely required. don’t worry about it do it …or get out of the business like the guys above said

If you don’t do the work then you are basically handing a loaded gun to your tenants who can report you and land you with a £30,000 fine. Do you really want to be in that position? The tenants can then decide to be very difficult with you on a host of issues as they have this big gun in their hands to threaten you with. Find the money somewhere and get the work done.