EICR Report completed and charges for remedial work seem high

Hi there

We’ve had a EICR report recently completed by a qualified NAPIT certified electrician and the report came in Unsatisfactory. In order to pass the certificate 3 x RBCO circuit breakers need to be installed and the quote is coming in at £400. My frustration comes as I feel I’m placed in a position where I don’t want to pay for another electrician to come and do another EICR in order to get a second opinion and quote for any remedial work, yet I’m not sure if the £400 quote is reasonable.
I’m wary as I feel the EICR system could allow electricians to quote for work that may not entirely be necessary, fail EICR’s and then snag Landlords with expensive remedial work.
If anyone has any thoughts on this then I’d be grateful.
Does £400 to buy and replace 3 RBCO’s seem high?

We paid £250 for a new RCD board in order to comply to the 18th edition in May last year.
The rewire was in 2015.
In May last year legislation was not clear on C3 say it was recommended not compulsory so we did it to cover ourselves on our solicitor’s advice. Subsequently legislation has been rewritten so it’s less ambiguous
What does your EICR say and which area are you in?

On the report, under observations K1-6 and K8 have come in as C2’s Immediate Remedial Action required.
I’m in SE15.

We are in the Midlands so cost will be cheaper here.
What are the observations documented for K1-6 and K8?
eg ours read
K1 Mains board not to 18th Edition C3

£400 to supply and fit 3 RCBOs is extortionate if its a straight swap with the switched fuses that are in the fusebox. I bought my own RCBOs when I had exactly the same advice from the EICR engineer last month. £24 each from the same manufacturer as the fuse being switched (Hager). Took the engineer 10 mins to complete the work. Also, he would not give me a full 5 year EICR. Just 3 years. Checked this with NICEIC and they said default should be 5 year but it is at the engineers discretion - thems the rules - I checked elsewhere too.

The whole way this EICR system is set up is open to significant abuse by engineers. My engineer recognised this fact.

2 Likes

Shop around…

Just spoke to my electrician
It’s £20 to £80 ( MEM board) each depending upon make
You could call your supplier to ask the cost of the RBCO

Is it cheaper to put in a new RCD rather the RBCO ?

NICIEC registered electrician’s have a trustworthy mark so you could look on their register for someone who has been tagged as honest

Our electrician had a NAPIT certificate and was registered on the Government competent person scheme.
Can an existing EICR report be upgraded by a different electrician after the work has been done or does a new EICR report need to be done?

Unless a new electrician is willing to do that ( and I don’t think they are as no one will sign off on someone else’s work as they take on the liability) you would have to do a new one.

It is often the case if the cost is unreasonable it is because they don’t want the work or they can because they have you over a barrel.
Do you know of anyone who can recommend someone?

We have had registered electricians lie. Registering competence does not include transparency I’m afraid. However I have got a second opinion. If the second opinion differs I do report them ( they don’t expect that).

This is one of the biggest grey areas for LLs at the moment . We only have a few months to get certificates for all our properties even ones with existing tenants so the pressure is on to find electricians willing to do the checks in time . Supply and demand favours the electrician giving the quote and there is differing interpretation among electricians about the law . Regulations are constantly changing and an electrician trying to milk the system will say an instillation isn’t safe simply because it doesn’t conform to the latest regulations but an installation can be safe without conforming to every part of it conforming to latest regs. They have you over a barrel.

4 Likes

If you have the Eicr certificate with the urgent recommendations that need to be carried out, just get them carried out by another electrician after purchasing the CB’s. I believe that would render the work done with your receipt attached to the Eicr report. Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think it is a fail as per an MOT. £400 is steep, you could get a new box fitted for that.

The Eicr is a condition report with recommendations. You will have obtained the report and acted on the recommendations which is what it is intended for. With or without recommendations you have obtained it. This is my interpretation and the opinion of others I have conversed on this matter. I am not a lawyer however and you may wish to verify the legal position.

There is up to £30k penalty risk.
I would speak to your local authority first. They are the ones issuing the penalty.
We have had to submit reports reading satisfactory after remedial works are done.
The council are not electricians and having a report that reads satisfactory covers them.

It is normal practice for the electrician to provide a new report once works are completed.
Ours accidentally filled a form that read 13th edition compliant. It was flagged by the council and he had to reissue one that read 18th edition compliant.
We took legal advice last year and we’re advised to deal with a C3 issue on a satisfactory EICR although the council said it was ok just prior to clarification in legislation in June last year ( prior to this date it was ambiguous)
My solicitor was of the opinion it’s better to cover yourself because it is a new law.

Can you afford to set legal precedent?
What happens if your tenant leaves after works are completed you cannot serve a new tenant with an EICR that is unsatisfactory with a receipt of works completed. You will need an EICR that reads satisfactory just as you require a gas certificate that reads pass.
So you will have to pay to have it done again.
An estate agent or university would not accept an EICR that read unsatisfactory with an invoice of works complete if you were to advertise with them.

Your not alone with your dilemma. I have just had several properties completed with electrical test certification and it was agreed to be done at a reasonable price per house. What would appear to be happening is that some electricians are quoting a cut price test but “topping” their income up with so called “remedial work” so the electrician who quotes cheap for the initial certification gets the job but then can become the most expensive with the add-on costs.
I complained and the electrician reduced the remedial costs down by 60%!!
The problem here is that the charge for the EICR is payable regardless if a pass or fail however, once any remedial work is completed a Pass EICR can be issued free of charge BUT, if the remedial work is completed by an alternative tradesman then the cost of a retest EICR may be chargeable by the original contractor.

1 Like

My electrician had just charged me £75 for a new RCBO. So 3 for £400 sounds steep.
I use the same electrician for everything and have used him since before EICRs came in. He charges a realistic price for the EICR, so doesn’t have to overcharge for the related repairs.
Problem is that there are short sighted electricians out there charging loss-leader prices to get the EICR work and making their money on subsequent repairs. They won’t get any repeat business though!

they are electricians, a fine trade. they service and install. an electrical engineer is something else

its hard to say without seeing the job but if you’re not happy get another electrician to fix and if he is part P registered that will close off your list. you might have found a better electrician for future maintenance too. I had a new board put in this week complete with the new surge protection which is recommended and not required yet under 18th ed rules and i paid just over 500. Its all about finding the right people, you pay them straight away they charge you a fair price you dont mess with quotes. you get a new one who stings you try someone new

You are not obliged to make any changes if your original installation complied with the Edition of the regulations when installed, and providing they are currently safe.

I would ask your electrician to explain this to you, and confirm that your installation is acceptable or not for other reasons.

As for the price, if your current Consumer Unit cannot accommodate an additional RCD, then he would have to replace the whole unit.

The ones I’ve had done came with a recommendation to install RCD’s, but the issue of a satisfactory certificate were not contingent on that. This was the advice from an electrician friend.

He also told me the electrician should issue the certificate for you to see the rectifications necessary, and then he can attach an invoice / report of the works done to show compliance and render the certificate satisfactory.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your responses. I’ve got the original electrician who did the EICR to lower the price for the work. I think what I’ve learnt is to get the EICR done by an electrician that you know and trust (if possible). Then have them explain any remedial work that’s required to you and break down any costs involved.

It’s clear it’s a cash cow for some electricians who can charge for the EICR then the landlord is, to a degree, obligated to that electrician to complete any remedial work. This gives them an opportunity to charge high rates to complete that work, then complete the EICR to Satisfactory.

I agree
It’s just like a gas certificate
You don’t get a fail
The works are done and your are given a certificate
We have been lucky as we were subject to hmo regulations for decades so we have a longstanding electrician and I haven’t had to do everything overnight
It’s new and so as the years go by it will settle and electricians may wise up to it’s better to keep you on side in the long run as it’s regular business
All the best