Gaining entry to issue Gas safety certificate

Hi, I have issued a Section 8 on my tenants and am waiting for them to leave by 3rd Nov (which I don’t think that they will do). They haven’t paid rent for 4 months and I can’t contact them as they don’t answer phones or respond to emails. I need to gain entry for the annual gas safety certificate as it needs renewing. What is the legal implications for this?

Write to them giving 24 hours notice of inspection and then just turn up with the gas engineer and your key. If they refuse access then you should record the fact and get the gas engineer to verify it in writing. You will then have to wait till they leave.


Thank David, that’s really helpful