Gas safety check alway late

You haven’t been concerned for 8 years, by the time you’ve typed a message you could have ordered one from Amazon for next day delivery.

What exactly do you want?

5 Likes

The implementation of the Renting Homes (Wales) Act

Take a gander, you may learn something

Statutory compliance of Landlord duties

Have you replaced batteries in smoke alarms, assuming they can be replaced?

2 Likes

As I stated earlier, both smoke alarms are sealed units with an expiry date of 2017. Batteries cannot be replaced. The present gas certificate indicates that two smoke detectors are present and that they function. They have not functioned for years.

Sorry miseed that, Ok, I can see why you’re miffed, although they are easy things to take care of, it’s down to LL of course. He’s being lazy as so easy to sort.

As mentioned he only needs record of previous 2 gas safety certs. If they’re several weeks late and as long as they are being done every year its a none issue.

Just get onto environment health if you can’t resolve with LL, consider impact on relationship though, which sounds like it wouldn’t matter anyway.

Gas service is not a requirement, only the checking of gas appliances and a valid gas safe cert.

4 Likes

It does sound like you have a very lax landlord. Tenants can bring cases under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act, but I have no experience of this or the threshold of “fitness” youd have to prove. I’d suggest the Environmental health dept of your local Council.

I lived in Wales for 14 years and know quite a bit about its laws and about people who smell money in the air .

8 Likes

You’ve made my day with that comment. :+1::laughing:

I am reading this in disbelief. There is more to this. I can so see this relationship is Not going to last long and I feel for the Landlord. Try speaking to you Landlord or failing that try moving out if you are that concerned. You sound like trouble.

7 Likes

that is what I said early on

3 Likes

I and every other tenant would be trouble to a landlord that took such a lackadaisical approach to their statutory duties.
Clearly that’s why you have a kinship with my landlord.

I am totally with Landlords complying with their legal duties but try speaking to them before considering speaking to other parties as all this will do is ruin the relationship you have with them. As long as a Landlord carries out GSC every year they are compliant they dont have to do it on the same date each year. Surely you know if they have sent someone out to the property or not! They should let you have a copy each year. What is your issues? Have you got concerns? or checking he is complying with their legal duties.

4 Likes

The fact that you are trying to go back in time and asking for 6 years of certificate tells me that you are not in for fixing the problem but trying to create a case for something else. Mind you LL only needs last two years. Sometimes people get the hump and start digging to find out other issues. And this can go both ways. This is how the relation ruins.

6 Likes

I would write a factual unemotional and non threatening letter to the landlord listing the issues and where appropriate the dates you would like him to fix them by. ie No Carbon Monoxide alarm in room with gas appliance - please resolve by X date.
A sentence saying that he is in breach of xyz reg where appropriate and that you are concerned this may invalidate his insurance etc. Consider sending it registered post. Also copy to agent if you have one. I assume that your LL is responding on other issues and is not incapacitated. Hopefully this will ensure the issues are resolved. If not you can chase up from there. Be aware you may be inconvenienced and will need to give access while things are brought up to date.

1 Like

A court wound consider it tine wasting & devious if you brought this case forward. LL has done the gas safety checks! As stated earlier by someone else, they do not have to sone to the exact date. Contractors these days have very long waiting lists etc. I have this issue fir my OWN HOME!! It’s a two month wait ti get the wood stove swept & certified, something that used to be only a 1-2 week wait!

write to LL stating the issues. Give a date ti comply with rectifying & if it’s not done if you are so worried buy the smoke detectors & c02 alarms. As someone stated earlier this is very new legislation as is the EICR.

Yes, it appears your LL is being sloppy & they need to get with it but it appears you are really being nit picking.

Of course there must be working smoke detectors!!! And yes it’s not your job to ask the LL to put this right as it’s LL responsibility, but I agree if you were so worried, but one!!! They are only £4.99 or something. Yiu can then point out that you’ve done this & complain to LL about it pointing out legislation. But I agree it sounds like there’s another agenda.

4 Likes

we can all smell trouble, but we need to be wise before the event

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your experience. Obviously with covid lockdowns in the last few years, these things were difficult to manage and maintain for landlords. So, the landlord will have some legal ground for delay. As long as your property is safe now for yourself and family is all that matters. Smoke alarms may need batteries replaced 10£ max. The batteries could have run out during your tenancy. A CO alarm is 20£ in amazon, you have to fix it to the boiler with 3M tape 6£ max. Maybe get them for your own safety and bill the landlord for the items. Get reasonable quality items with invoices. This isn’t worth the legal route, it’s really a waste of time for everyone. Take care.

1 Like

Your landlord is being a very silly billlly. Crim offence. C0 monitor plus current gas cerificates statutory for all let properties witgh gas appliances. Trouble is you can go to council but landlord could go to prison and you might need to find somewhere to live.

I beleive it is only recently that a landlord is obligated to change a non-working smoke alarm. You mention you have lived there for 8 years and the alarm hasn’t worked for 6 years. Personally, as a Landlord I would have this fixed very quickley. but not sure exactly what the law use to say until it changed on 1st Oct 2022, and now says Landlords must “Ensure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are repaired or replaced once informed and found that they are faulty.”

Re the co2 detecror. Again, old regs say only required in room with solid fuel burning appliance. New rules now say Landlords must “Ensure a carbon monoxide alarm is equipped in any room used as living accommodation which contains a fixed combustion appliance (excluding gas cookers)”

I’d suggest making the Landlord aware in writing (your rental agreement) will no doubt state what types of correspondence you should use to communicate.

That said, if I lived there, I’d also be tempted to just buy & fit a smoke & co2 detector for mine & my families safety. They are not expensive

3 Likes