Gas 'v' Electric Hob - Pros & Cons?

In the not too distant future I will need to replace a kitchen in it’s entirety. Given this, I was wondering about the pros & cons of Gas ‘v’ Electric hobs? Do you have a preference & why?
Many thanks

When I needed a new gas oven about three years ago, I had a great deal of difficulty in finding one. I was told, repeatedly, that this was because gas would be phased out in the next ten years in the UK. I finished up with an electric oven.


What ever happens with the ‘eco-pressure’ I can’t see gas being phased out anytime soon.

I was thinking more on the lines of the cost of annual Gas Safety Checks - Would it be cheaper to simply have an electric hob?

Presumably you have gas heating therefore the additional gas safety inspection costs should be minimal.

Gas is much cheaper for tenants to use and gives much better control.

I tend to keep with what is there as if gas it can be expensive to do necessary rewiring to change to electric as hobs will use a lot of power. If you do go electric get an induction one as much better to cook with than standard electric one.

1 Like

From a tenant’s perspective… I prefer electric from a safety angle, and I’d rather it wasn’t induction because you have to buy specific pans - which tend to be more expensive. Plus cheaper induction hobs are awfully inconsistent with heat, and I imagine you’ll be looking for the cheapest possible solution…

I’m sure I read that gas in private homes is intended to be phased out in the next 10 years or so - certainly for new builds gas isn’t an option for developers now.

1 Like

I put in an electric and gas point and leave the tenant to decide what freestanding cooker they want to buy

1 Like

Please can someone confirm I would not have to conduct any kind of annual inspection on an electric hob?

you have to do pat test annually by law if you provide it

As far as I’m aware it’s not a legal requirement to PAT test anything for landlords, but it’s possibly good practice.


So whilst it might be considered good practice to carry out PAT testing there is no legal obligation.

  • Does this logic also apply to a hob or extractor that I would consider ‘fitted’ rather than ‘portable’?

  • Would I need electrician paperwork upon installation or could a regular kitchen fitter/competent trade carry out the work?

Sorry, I’m just a bit confused

As above, at the moment I believe there is not legal requirement for PAT testing unless its a condition of local authority licensing. What you would be required to do is an EICR inspection prior to letting and then every 5 years thereafter.

1 Like

To clarify, the EICR already carried out with 5yr validity, so presume installing new appliance (eg hob/extractor) would not require EICR ‘update’ as that would be utter madness!?
Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

I write from a student HMO perspective. However I PAT test all of our appliances irrespective of HMO status.
HMOs do require PAT testing legally. Our universities and LA mandate it.
PAT testing is for everything with a plug. Hobs and extractors have plugs ( they are not hardwired into the RCD) and thus require PAT testing.
One does require a competent installer for appliances. A receipt with respective body registration will be adequate.
Out of box does not require PAT test. After 12 months out of box it does.

This year I have had to dispose of a fridge, microwave and toaster in our portfolio due to failed PAT testing. These were not in HMO’s but in a ‘normal’ rental.
You’ll be surprised what needs to be thrown away!

I usually dispose of several items every year because they fail.
You may want to speak to your insurer to see if they require PAT testing.
Better safe than sorry.

No, provided the installation was from a suitably qualified electrician, no new EICR would be required.

Electric for sure. No annual safety checks (most engineers charge around £10-15 extra to check a gas hob when doing annual gas safety report). And easier/cheaper to fit electric in my experience. Also when doing refurb work (e.g. new worktop), you need a gas engineer to disconnect the hob then come back and reconnect it once the work is done. Around £50-60 each visit (in Yorkshire). A lot prefer cooking with gas, but as a landlord I choose to go with the convenient option; electric!

1 Like

Always go electric its a no brainer you dont have to do annual gas checks. Re installing a cooker it simply doesnt need a pat test and as its a like for like so doesnt need a part p qualified electrician. It needs to be someone who is competent though i do them or my maintenance man does them, its just like wiring a plug but that is beyond some tenants

PORTABLE Appliance Testing is for what it says. It was intended to cover irons, kettles, hair dryers etc but does cover anything that plugs in. However there is no legal requirement (unless local authority licensing requires it) and certainly no binding inspection period. HSE recommend annual (or even more frequently) for risky environments (workshops etc). Items never moved can be much less frequently. As a landlord you don’t have to test, just inspect for damage and keep records see

I’d go electric for safety, reduced fire risk, and annual gas safety cost, and if you want to pat test do the hob, cooker hood etc with your EICR every 5 years.

does the same apply with an electric oven?

electric oven has to be PAT tested in an HMO and recommended in regular tenancy
Personally I do it for safety so I am insured etc