Guarantor Referencing failed. Can we still accept?

Hi,
New to Open Rent. We have had a Guarantor who has marginally failed referencing. Can we still accept him and is it legally binding. Many thanks

Pete

why accept someone who has failed ?they either fail or pass. Like being pregnant you either are or are not !! Does that mean the tenant also failed? If so Big Risk

Thanks for reply but wasn’t asking for a judgement or an opinion, just a simple question of can we accept him and is it legally binding.

Many thanks

Pete

as a landlord you can have whoever you wish and if all parties sign up then it will be binding. Whether you can get rent guarrantee is another matter

Yes, you can still accept them. You can accept whoever you like. You won’t get rent guarantee insurance though (if you planned on that). The tenancy contract will still be valid.

Many thanks, not sure that rent guarantees are an option at the moment in the current situation but take the point.

Kind regards

Pete

Thanks Steve, thought that was the case but just wanted to be sure. We live in challenging times so looking at all alternatives.

Many thanks

Pete

Colin every post you hate tenants Why do you hate tenants so much that don’t have a lot of money

I dont hate tenants I love those who have been with me for 20 years none of them have much money but they regular in their bills. I hate theives , liars and scammers, now a scammer can be rich or poor… When you have interviewed as many people as I have who SAY they have a job, SAY they have no CCJ s, SAY they have no pets SAY they are not on benefits You find out 75% of applicants are liars So they dont get a look in with me when they tell one lie. I have been poor ,I have owed rent money , I know what its like, but I never lied to my landlady I struggled .PS obviously you have not read all my posts I am on the side of the underdog as long as they are HONEST

5 Likes

I believe you can still accept but why take risks?

1 Like

Don’t take the risk, this time last year i took on tenants that failed their credit checks, they became a nightmare. If they fail it’s a clear indication that you should not proceed under any circumstances, tenants will say anything to get in the door appeal to your good nature then once they are in it’s a long battle to get them out. I would advise to be patient and wait till you find someone that can pass checks.

2 Likes

Mr Colin and Landlord I’m a potential candidate to rent a property on open rent, I don’t lie and I don’t scam if anything I have been lied to by agencies .

As most people in this country when ur young temptation gets the best of you and u accrue debts , so I actively searched to improve my financial situation and joined the IVA program in 2017 which I have never missed a payment for since and we are now in 2021 and the agency CreditFix can confirm that . But unfortunately that’s not visible on the basic credit check s like the one Ms Victoria Irunga generated on me on behalf of Rentguard so you can imagine what the out coke of that report was .
Now my question to everyone is . Is it fair that A hard working, law abiding citizen who made mistake s in their past and is actively trying to fix be judged and considered a right off based on what no one knows ?
Do you no longer have a sense of intuition to actually allow u to feel good vibes or bad vibes from people regardless of what the report Ms Victoria generates ?
No one should consider people as ‘declined ‘ based on what has passed , perhaps the credit reference agency needs to look at what I have done and doing to improve only then will they actually realise how many good people have had to be homeless thanks to their reports.
I am proud to be where I am and I would love to go back and change things but I can’t so all I can do is work harder in improving as a human being . I am a good person and I have vowed from when I was in my late 20 s that I will try and make someone s day or make them laugh or smile at least once a day. And I will find the right landlord to have that relationship with who sees my value now not 10 years ago .
So please meet with the potential tenant interview them , poke them , grill them and find out what kind of person they are and what vibe u get before you start talking about liars and scammers because In my experience the only way to know a liar is if your the bigger one (apologies Colin not intended at you )
If you care so much about ur property then get to know every candidate , it’s a marriage between ur property and the tenant and I guess that’s how u ll find a good tenant .
Sorry for the long message but I am fully frustrated today . My potential landlord Lino has been amazing and supportive with my bad reference but for some reason even my guarantor isn’t good enough for rentguard only because they base their stupid calculation s on basic salary not what they actually earn .
How does a mortgage company mortgage my guarantor a house and as a guarantor he doesn’t meet the criteria (rhetorical question as, I know the politics )
People need to go back to basics
Thanks

1 Like

I have tenants of 20 and more years, many of 7 and 8 and I always have to Gel with them. But its a sad fact that 75% of new applicants lie to me

2 Likes

Hey Colin people have done worse to me but u know what I tell them Karma strikes 10 times worse if not on u on the person u love the most , that usually makes people re evaluate but good luck and don’t forget to test people and catch them at their game lol
All that best message me if u want me to play under cover lol

Bashar, I think that most landlords would completely agree with your point, but its one that needs to be addressed to Government. It never used to be like this. In the past landlords did fewer checks and were prepared to take more risks. Government have systematically made it more and more difficult to evict non-paying or anti-social tenants to the point where landlords can’t afford to risk anyone other than those with a perfect credit history and references. Its not good for landlords either as the cost of doing business has increased as a result. The current system is unsustainable, but the more the tenant pressure groups try to limit the options of landlords, the worse it will get.

3 Likes